Varnish or the wood itself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been sanding a reclaimed parquet Panga floor. I have used the 24 grit and have got a levelish floor now, ie non of the blocks are proud.

However despite sanding quite a few times since the fkkir was level I cannot seem to get rid of these tiny flecks in the surface I thought they were the remaines of the varnish or laquer that had been applied previously but I now have my doubts are these part of the wood itself? Or should I keep sanding?

I was going to use Osmo Poly Oil on the fllor but on a test it comes out quite dark. I was hoping to have it look like the last picture any ideas about what to use?

Sponsored Links
It looks like varnish, but that doesn't add up with the amount of sanding your describe.

Could be gum/silicate deposits natural to the timber, not really sure.

Thanks for the reply.

I had to replace a block as it became apparent that it was split along the edge and I had not noticed when I laid the floor, sanding expose the split.

However when I replaced the block it stood proud by several mm so presumable this is about how much I have sanded off the top of the floor. Now I know this isnt too accurate a measure as the T&G is now not being used on the replacement block, but by pocking down the side of some of the block to measure how far down the tongue is and comparing it with an unused block it does seem I have taken off several mm.

Could varnish reach down that far?

Sponsored Links
several mm, no I suspect it is some natural deposit in the timber then. Some timbers can contain resins, silicate deposits or it could be some kind of fungal marking caused during the tree's life.

It could be some kind of chemical stain, but that seems unlikely as it doesn't affect adjacent boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back