Varnished doors - amazing results!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I'm amazed but then i'm easily pleased.

Just finished the 2nd coat on my new oak veneered doors using Ronseal's perfect finish clear coat.

You get a varnish/paint pad as part of the kit, water based, drys in 20 mins. My doors, frames and architraves now look like those plush hotel/commercial building doors, which is exactly the desired effect.

The only down side was the cost per litre. I'm sure this is a friendly consumer pack which allows them to milk it for all its worth.

* My Question *

It says on the container, "untreated wood may need 3 coats"

How do I decide if I need that 3rd coat?

It's clear varnish so there is no difference in the colour by adding additional coats.

The only thing I noticed after the 1st coat that the varnish really lifted the grain. Light sanding sorted that and after the 2nd coat it was a lot smoother but not perfectly smooth. In other words, I suspect light sanding and then a 3rd coat will improved the smoothness yet further.

Is this reason for additional coats?

Sponsored Links
Is this reason for additional coats?

Yep, plus gives more protection as you build up the coats and, the finish will last longer.

Monsoon said:
You weigh up the better finish against the cost to you of achieving it.

Sponsored Links
Monsoon said:
You weigh up the better finish against the cost to you of achieving it.

I suspect it's a case of diminishing returns the more coats you add, but I'll certainly put another coat on. I want a plate glass effect and each of the previous 2 coats have made big improvements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back