vauxhall astra front wheel bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently I clipped a curb after hitting a flood and now the car has developed a rough noise from wheel. when jacked up there is movement as I rock the wheel top to bottom, which leads me to believe the bearing is going.
however the local dealership want £170+vat for parts plus labour 1/2 hr plus dignosic time.....approx £250.

I can get bearing which comes with hub for £70+vat. Question is can I replace this myself? I am fairly technicaly minded but don't have huge selection of special tools.

any tips or pit falls to look out for????

Sponsored Links
does nobody know how to check for faulty wheel bearing and how to change it a 2000reg astra?????

Yes thanks!

You will need Torx sockets for the hub itself. Does your car have ABS? if so make sure you get a hub with speed sensor built in. Non-ABS cars have a speed sensor on one of the front wheels anyway as the Speedometer feeds from the sensor, so check which you need.

CJ

PS: Have a little patience!

thanks for that..

is it a hard job to do??? on a scale of 1 to 10

and is it the case that the replacement bearing comes pre-pressed into a new hub as well.??

2000 reg astra 16 16v with ABS

Sponsored Links
mdni said:
recently I clipped a curb after hitting a flood and now the car has developed a rough noise from wheel. when jacked up there is movement as I rock the wheel top to bottom, which leads me to believe the bearing is going.
however the local dealership want £170+vat for parts plus labour 1/2 hr plus dignosic time.....approx £250.

I can get bearing which comes with hub for £70+vat. Question is can I replace this myself? I am fairly technicaly minded but don't have huge selection of special tools.

any tips or pit falls to look out for????

robbing buggers, go to your local parts shop, £30 max for the part.

budgie69 said:
robbing b*****r, go to your local parts shop, £30 max for the part.

That they may be, but £30 for a complete hub & bearing with ABS sensor built in is very wishfull thinking.

This link below shows the part and pricing for a non genuine 5 stud hub with ABS sensor £79.95
http://www.vauxallparts.co.uk/?product_id=81775&option=Prod_detail&image_id=35522

Make sure you get the correct hub as there are 4 or 5 stud variants

Easy enough if you have the right tools etc though
Yes the bearing is already pressed inside the hub, ready to bolt on

CJ

could any one give a quick 10 point guide to changing the front hub.??

eg
1 jack & remove wheel..4x wheel nuts
2 remove brack caliper and pads ...2x 7mm alen key bolts
3 remove brake disk 1 x torque or philips head locater screw
4 ?????
5???
10 replace wheel and remove jack/axle stand

please...

1. Jack Vehicle, use axle stand etc
2. Remove disc & caliper
3. remove dust cap covering driveshaft nut, remove split pin & driveshaft nut
4.Remove split pin and unscrew nut from track rod end to steering arm
5. Use balljoint tool to remove trackrod end from steering knuckle
6. remove anti roll bar link from strut
7. remove bottom ball joint securing bolt, separate lower suspension arm from steering knuckle will balljoint tool (get new bolt and locknut)
8. Disconnect ABS sensor from back of hub
9. Pull steering knuckle outwards whilst pressing driveshaft in, to remove from centre of hub
10. Undo three hub mounting bolts (torx) and withdraw hub.

refitting is reverse

11. Have a Beer!

CJ

do I need to remove track rod ends, split ball joints and drop strut off???

I was under the impression that the vauxhall dealer could do this in 1/2hr
maybe i got that bit wrong...

Well why not go to them if they are only charging you half an hours labour?
Hardly worth getting your hands dirty.

You can just about get to the three torx head bolts that hold the hub on (just) so they'll probably do it that way.

I copied all the info out of a manual for you.

Why don't you go buy your cheap bearing them get them to replace it for you? I wouldn't **** about for 1/2 an hours labour

CJ

ok dealer now looking 2 hrs labour to fit the part that i supply and they won't guarantee the work.......what???

so I will do it myself b****r to the lot of them

does anyone know what size the 3 hub bolts are????

i have just done a front wheel bearing on a astra 1.6 sxi 5 wheel studs version the part did cost 160 pounds including vat from a car shop and the noise went away but the abs light then stayed on and now the car needs to be put on a diagnostic machine to reset it that will proply cost more
bloody computers in cars aint worth diddly

Sponsored Links
Back