vauxhall astra van td, thick oil in header/cooler bottle????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've been to look at a w reg astra van, theres lots of oil in the header tank, the guys tring to tell me it needs a oil cooler and its not the head gasket gone as i told him. can anyone tell me, if im wrong?

Sponsored Links
Run it and see if the cooling system is being over pressurised, if so there should be evidence of water being ejected from the overflow/filler cap, look for signs of staining, if it isn't loosing any water it could possibly be the oil cooler.

Impossible to know for definite without testing or bypassing the cooler and flushing out the oil from the tank.

You could do a "sniff test" to see if there are any engine gases in the coolant bottle?

Probably coming cheap and the seller wont do any of the above for you?

If you get him a cooler do a deal with him to fit it or ask him to join the coolant pipes together instead of going into the cooler. A small piece of copper pipe will do the trick. Flush the tank and hope for the best Before you buy it.

Run it and see if the cooling system is being over pressurised, if so there should be evidence of water being ejected from the overflow/filler cap, look for signs of staining, if it isn't loosing any water it could possibly be the oil cooler.

i couldnt see any staining, started fine and seem to run ok. i couldnt seem to understand why if the oil cooler had gone, that it was allowing oil to the header???

i checked the dip stick and oil filler to see if there was "mayo" (creamey sludge) there but nothing. the oil wasnt new, as if someone had changed it to cover up, and was no mayo. thanks for your help :)!!!

Sponsored Links
Impossible to know for definite without testing or bypassing the cooler and flushing out the oil from the tank.

You could do a "sniff test" to see if there are any engine gases in the coolant bottle?

Probably coming cheap and the seller wont do any of the above for you?

If you get him a cooler do a deal with him to fit it or ask him to join the coolant pipes together instead of going into the cooler. A small piece of copper pipe will do the trick. Flush the tank and hope for the best Before you buy it.

hi, yeah it is coming el' cheapo! i didnt want to end up having to pay out in time and money, as much as a "running" one would be. i dont fancy doing a head gasket or head replacment on that! thanks fo you help :)!

well if it's a W reg, and has an indeterminate but worrying fault, unless he's giving it away, look for another.

i couldnt see any staining, started fine and seem to run ok. i couldnt seem to understand why if the oil cooler had gone, that it was allowing oil to the header???

i checked the dip stick and oil filler to see if there was "mayo" (creamey sludge) there but nothing. the oil wasnt new, as if someone had changed it to cover up, and was no mayo. thanks for your help :)!!!

The oil cooler is usually fitted to the mounting point of the oil filter. The oil filter creates an obstruction for the oil which increases pressure. At the point the oil exists the filter and enters the cooler the oil pressure is higher than the water pressure so oil enters the water system rather than the other way round.

Sponsored Links
Back