Vauxhall Engines, Isuzu or GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for another car and I am considering another vauxhall diesel. I have an Astra with a GM engine and have been happy with it. There is a car locally I am interested in and it has an Isuzu engine in it.. The seller was raving on about how good the Isuzu engine is. Is he making a load of fuss to sell the car or is the Isuzu engine better than the GM?

Sponsored Links
Isuzu is the same as a GM engine..just different badges..

GM bought Isuzu about 20 years ago now, and then the engines where different and the Isuzu a lot better, but now they are generic and just badged differently..

Big_Spark said:
Isuzu is the same as a GM engine..just different badges..

GM bought Isuzu about 20 years ago now, and then the engines where different and the Isuzu a lot better, but now they are generic and just badged differently..

Depends what year this Astra is!

The Astra-G (Mk4 1998-2004) had both Vauxhall and Isuzu variants i.e the X1.7DTL & the Y1.7DTI engines, the latter being the Isuzu. Avoid the Vauxhall lump like the plague, slow and unreliable.

The 16v Isuzu engine is pretty good.

If it's a new model Astra, not so sure. I know they were moving onto Common Rail diesels CDTi's about the time I left Vauxhall.

cheers

CJ

Sponsored Links
cjbigboy

all the new CDTI are FIAT engines Yes you heard me correctly..

F = fix
I = it
A = again
T = tomorrow

The 1.9 is a beast of an engine though i have to admit. Massive amount of power and huge amounts of torque.

Isuzu is far better engine that the old LOW BLOW gm one cjbigboy will know what i mean by that term.

The latter isuzu ones have had the timing belt interval shortened due to failling idlers so if you do get one make sure you stick a belt on it, apart from that and the glow device general error faults (on the later ones) they are good

Nice one Mick, didn't realise the new diesel was a FIAT engine, remind me not to get one, lol

Low Blow is a phrase I want to forget thank you very much, Mick. They were awful!! Although not as awful as the X2.0DTL, shudder!!!

Happy New Year

cheers

CJ

CJ,

Slightly embarassed when i say this but i drive a vectra estate not quite the 2.0dtl but a DTH :oops:

Slightly better but still a very and i mean very harsh drive train. great when your moving but the vibration through the chassis on initial take off was always horendous, even with the oil filled engine mountings trying to iron it out.

I suppose its the old story, you work with them all day and get the parts for nothing so you drive one :D

Mick Leek said:
cjbigboy

all the new CDTI are FIAT engines Yes you heard me correctly..

F = fix
I = it
A = again
T = tomorrow

The 1.9 is a beast of an engine though i have to admit. Massive amount of power and huge amounts of torque.

Isuzu is far better engine that the old LOW BLOW gm one cjbigboy will know what i mean by that term.

The latter isuzu ones have had the timing belt interval shortened due to failling idlers so if you do get one make sure you stick a belt on it, apart from that and the glow device general error faults (on the later ones) they are good

They also have a severe problem on the oilpump drive too. When you change the cambelt replace this pulley and bolt too. The problem seems to be the bolt which has no locktab and was fitted with no loctite either. I would recommend cleaning the threads on the oilpump and the new bolt with meths and to use loctite on assembly.

I have a CDTI estate and they are far better on fuel than the older DTI. I would estimate around 5 or 6 more to the gallon under the same driving conditions.

Dave,

Thats what i meant when i mentioned the pulley, but you rightly gave it its proper name :)

you a vauxhall spanner monkey as well ?

Yeah, I remember that Oil pump pulley problem on the Y17DT. We also had a few that fractured the injector rail inside the cam cover.

Mick, what part of the UK are you in, did you have much trouble with 2.0DTL/DTH fuel pumps in your neck of the woods.

Here in Northern Ireland, they were dropping like flies, partly I think due to the dodgy diesel bought from across the border by the local taxi drivers, gawd bless em!

Mick Leek said:
Dave,

Thats what i meant when i mentioned the pulley, but you rightly gave it its proper name :)

you a vauxhall spanner monkey as well ?

No mate, originally cars but moved onto trucks. Had my own recovery business for longer than I care to remember then sold out. Heavy work lorries and I have been out of cars to long to go back now.

Into property now, which means I can go out with clean nails and cut free hands at night. ;) :LOL:

CJ,
Im in lancashire, Blackburn to be more precise.

Had one or two fuel pump repairs but not something i would say was a regular thing..

UNLIKE those bloody VIVARO vans.. Now when they first came out i thought " This is the best van in the world" How wrong i was. Its like they all have a self distruct programed into them once they hit 60,000. What a bag of ****e.. Gearbox repairs for fun. Diff bearings collapse for fun. High pressure fuel pumps.. Lol have a bin full of those. Alternators :( Have you ever touched one while the engine is running...

First time i replaced one, i thought it was faulty, after a few mins it was that hot you couldn't touch it. i threw it back at the parts lad and told him to get me another... How wrong i was... Rang technical after the second was the same and he said " Send it out and keep your fingers crossed but it should be ok " :eek: :eek:

hate this new canbus ****e. i find it a nightmare..

Mick.

Mick, sounds like I made the right decision to get out of the motor trade, lol.

Vivaro sounds nasty.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back