vauxhall meriva clutch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

im going to change the the 3 piece clutch on my v/meriva 1.4 and would like advice about several aspects

firstly it is hydrolic clutch so when the slave cylinder is disconnected im proberbly going to loose fluid, which is best way round this to reduce amount of fluid lost and reduce air intake.

the second part would be, ill be working with car on axle stands on drive way, the sub frame is likely to impede dropping the gear box to floor with little clearance between car and floor am i better off removing sub frame altogether or should gear box remain near in situ supporter on a axle stand or somert should there be clearance to shimmy it to one side??

third, at college weve only changed clutch without a gear box(engine on a stand) and only removed drive shaft from a toyota that was so loose a kid could pull it out, im under the impression on a regular car the driveshaft can be difficult to withdraw and may need tapping out with a hammer...not sure which to use copper, hyde, nylon soft hammer etc.

i beleive there is a circlip at the end of the drive shaft to prevent it falling out, will circlip pliers be needed or do they just push back in ok

last for now, which is the simplest form of bleeding the system afterwards is it simular to doing the brakes except pushing the clutch peddle or somert??
thanks
terry

Sponsored Links
I'll answer what I can Terry, but I don't do clutches anymore.....
See if the clutch slave cylinder is fed by the brake fluid reservoir - often the case. If it is, then clamp the pipe at any convenient point where it is flexible.
The drive shafts pop out of the diff - if they are stubborn a sharp heave with a broad bladed lever (large screwdriver) gets it out.
On the end of the driveshaft there is a snap ring....don't worry about this, it retracts once the driveshaft is popped back in.
I can't comment on dropping the subframe or not - sorry.
You'll probably find the system will bleed by gravity - just leave the bleed nipple open....if it wants help, then have a helper press the pedal while you do the business with the bleed nipple.
Are you sure you want to try this on your drive?? You'll need to get the car pretty high if you do - why not ask Mr. Clutch for a quote?
John :)

thanks john
i will ring round to get some quotes but ive been given a guide price of nr 300 quid, other than that it gives me some more experience for when i enter the real world rather than basics at college.

Sponsored Links
Back