VCW-Sine 18 T3 WF H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My valiant boiler won't produce heating or hot water today.
We swapped out a radiator on Friday, and refilled the system.
Last night, we ran the CH, but it went cold fairly quick, thinking it was on the timer I never paid much attention. Looking last thing last night, the filler loop is permant, and the pipe had come lose, draining the system.
I refilled the system to 1, 1.25, 1.5 and 2.0 bar today, the pilot light fires, I can feel the motor running - and the usual churning just before the boiler normally fires, you can hear it ticking too, but no big flame.

Dumb I know - but has anyone any ideas .. other than making the filler loop temporary when I get it sorted out.

Is there a minimum pressure needed to get the CH and water to fireup.

I found the rubber capped reset button at the back, this does seem to have made an issue after pressing it ..

Sponsored Links
AIr lock in the boiler?? - sorry I'll have to go down into the crypt to get the manual... Look for an air vent on it.

There is an auto air vent just behind and above the pump. These have usually seized up after 18 years!

There is a manual air bleed valve but its inside the CC where you should not be going.

If you leave it running on CH it will probably cure the problem after a few hours.

Alternative you could fiddle with the AAV !

Tony

the AAV has a nice green coat on it, and there is a small cap ontop that is threaded, but what do I do with it ? is it like a pneumatic valve, is there something to press down inside or does pressing down on the cap do something .. it is quite green and scaly as you mentioned

Sponsored Links
Look in the FAQ on this site!

Its like a car tyre valve!

Tony

as you said, yep was an air lock, when I took off the sides of the case I could see it from the top, it was well corroded up. We have the boiler on that BG care contract so got them out ..

two turned up, the experienced guy wouldn't let the apprentice do it, as I am sure he knew if he snapped off the AAV in the pump it would be a much bigger job.

good couple of belts with his water pump pliers and some twisting and the air came out, boiler fired up np's since ..

thanks all ...

Didn't British Gas replace the AAV?

Merely manually loosing it will not enable it to do its job the next time any air builds up!

I suggest you ask them to replace it!

They are not expected to behave like cowboys.

Tony

no they didn't, he loosened the lot with some pump pliers and used this metheod to open and close however it vented.
Does that BG £12 per month cover replacement or worn or seized parts, or just broken parts ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back