veg oil as a fuel? really?

ban-all-sheds said:
I assume your veehickle doesn't have a trip computer?

Or that ever-so-new-fangled device only fitted to cars since, ooh, as long as they've been made - a fuel gauge :p

Seriously - I've said it before and I'll say it again, why do people fill their tanks to the brim anyway? I can think of at least 3 very good reasons not to:

1. Your car will be lighter and therefore more fuel-efficient
2. Less explosion risk in an accident
3. Less distance for a thief to drive if they steal it.

My policy as I've mentioned previously has always been £10 in, wait for fuel light to come on, then put another £10 in. When the light comes on you've got 30-50 miles left in most cars, so plenty of chance to find a filling station before you run out....

Sponsored Links
ninebob said:
Or that ever-so-new-fangled device only fitted to cars since, ooh, as long as they've been made - a fuel gauge :p
Actually I think early cars had dipsticks..

Seriously - I've said it before and I'll say it again, why do people fill their tanks to the brim anyway?
1. I hate stopping for petrol, so I want to do it as seldom as possible, unless..
2. It's nice to keep a full tank in case the fuel protester loonies strike.

I can think of at least 3 very good reasons not to:

1. Your car will be lighter and therefore more fuel-efficient
Yeah - right - like a few tens of kilos of fuel is going to make any significant difference in a car weighing in the thousands of kilos.

2. Less explosion risk in an accident
If you've had an accident and ruptured the tank, there isn't going to be much practical difference between a small explosion and a big one.

3. Less distance for a thief to drive if they steal it.
At least 30-50 miles by your own argument. How far can you follow on foot?

My policy as I've mentioned previously has always been £10 in, wait for fuel light to come on, then put another £10 in. When the light comes on you've got 30-50 miles left in most cars, so plenty of chance to find a filling station before you run out....
No way am I prepared to stop for fuel every 1-2 days.

Ah, but there's a difference between filling your tank and brimming it. I fill my tank until the nozzle cuts out, but you see lots of people ignore the "clicks" and keep on going. If you read the handbook for any car you will see this is pointless... it sloshes out of the breather pipe or something.

I have seen a couple of people fill up until it runs down the side of their car. :eek:

I tried chucking £10 in at a time, and I did save fuel but only because there is a petrol station right on my way home. If I had to make a detour it may have been different. Now I can't be a**ed anymore and fill it up. :LOL:

I don't brim mine, but I do ignore the first few clicks - I've learned how much more I can get in after the first click (a good couple of litres), so I take it up to a number of whole litres because that's the granularity of the reward points system at the garage I usually use.

I must admit I sometimes did the fill-till-the-spill when I had a company car and a petrol card :oops:

Sponsored Links
If your mixing diesel & veg oil steer cleer from ministry check points, HM customs dipped my tank & checked the specific gravity of the fuel, veg oil alters the readings.

keego said:
If your mixing diesel & veg oil steer cleer from ministry check points, HM customs dipped my tank & checked the specific gravity of the fuel, veg oil alters the readings.
ill remember that it ever im goin abroad or anything. altho i doubt there would be any problem if i was using it legally tho.

It's not just if your going abroad they are at most MOT check points & are even doing their own roadside spot checks. If caught you can get done for evading duty.

keego said:
It's not just if your going abroad they are at most MOT check points & are even doing their own roadside spot checks. If caught you can get done for evading duty.

if im gonna keep doin this, i was gonna do it legally

AdamW said:
Ah, but there's a difference between filling your tank and brimming it. I fill my tank until the nozzle cuts out, but you see lots of people ignore the "clicks" and keep on going. If you read the handbook for any car you will see this is pointless... it sloshes out of the breather pipe or something.
Isn't to do with petrol expanding in the tank with our heatwave we're having.

petewood said:
Are you going to try 50/50?

possibly. once tank gets down again i might try it. savin is really starting to show tho. 1 full tank lasts me 10 days. so im savin around £10 every fill. so, goin by that, thats £365 per year. and thats new veggie oil at 44p/litre

I have read (somewhere a while ago) that used veg oil actually works better and local chip shops/curry houses pay to get rid of it!! If you have a chat with your local eatery they may be keen to give it to you for nowt!!

Warning: You may become hungry every time you drive as I understand that your exhaust gasses smell like the food that the oil was used to cook!! :evil:

countygardens said:
I have read (somewhere a while ago) that used veg oil actually works better and local chip shops/curry houses pay to get rid of it!! If you have a chat with your local eatery they may be keen to give it to you for nowt!!

Warning: You may become hungry every time you drive as I understand that your exhaust gasses smell like the food that the oil was used to cook!! :evil:

im gonna give it a few more weeks on new oil. see how it goes. if all goes well then i might go to a restraunt and offer to take some off their hands

Sponsored Links
Back