Vehicle Recovery - Call the experts...

Sponsored Links
I was in the recovery trade for years and this guy has no idea at all.

Good job 'drive' wasn't on the back operating the crane --- or was he ?
Was the right hand stabiliser deployed - arrowed, eventually slipping over quay edge ??
03-c.jpg

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
I was in the recovery trade for years and this guy has no idea at all.

I have to ask: is this from personal experience of this fellow recoverer, or just from the photos? :D

No Adam I don't know who they are. Are they foreigners? the trucks have UK writing, the number plate looks foreign and the forum is.

Most UK firms are better trained by the likes of these.

http://www.avrouk.com/

This guy is right on the limit, the truck is far to small and is also being badly used. Although the casualty is a small vehicle, this type of work needs either a crane or heavy (more expensive) recovery trucks.

david and julie said:
the number plate looks foreign

I know this might spur off some rather un-PC jokes, but I looked at those numberplates and they are Irish...

Must have been pretty humiliating for the driver of the first truck (presumably a Mr Walsh, looking at the signage) when the second truck craned him out! :LOL:

You would think someone would be more careful with their livelihood though, on second look that first crane appears pretty weedy to be trying to lift the weight of a car (plus water) at such distances.

david and julie said:
Although the casualty is a small vehicle, this type of work needs either a crane or heavy (more expensive) recovery trucks.

Is it wise to hang all that weight from the roof when the A-pillars have obviously received such a whack (see the second photo with the big crane). Only you can see that the roof is beginning to fold along the centreline.

Just thinking that a few additional straps around the car, or a full on basket-type thing might make the car less likely to break up.

I agree Adam, was the Michael the give away?

Having looked closer at the piccies I have my doubts if the stablisers were even used. Looking at the first piccy the weight of the Hiab is making the lorry lean, before they even lift anything.

Because he has took that Hiab below the horizontal it lifts in an arc, as you lift the weight moves further from the truck(when wrongly used) and the weight increases. If you use a crane or heavy recovery truck this doesn't happen.

Real shame though, these guy's probably struggle in remote area's to make a living and this has cost minimum £20K even if the trucks getting on a bit. Hopefully nobody was hurt.

BTW, mmj the water and capillary action can easily double the weight.

Adam... that's the usual way of lifting, cars in water are considered scrap really. There are some pictures missing in this sequence because the car appears upside-down at first.

When we used to take them out of water police frogmen used to do the slinging free as a training exercise, they charge you now. :(

The really interesting pictures are missing, that is getting the truck out. The Hiab is up to the job but the driver would have a lot to contend with.

You can tell it's not in the UK, there appears to be one copper in the end shots. We would cone the area off, have dozens of police, council suits, coastguard,HSE etc.

Does the 1st Vehicle Recovery company get punished for causing the accident ?

Sponsored Links
Back