Vehicle tax and MOT renewal question.

I had a problem with the car that I have bought last month.

The seller had lost the MOT although its still in date until Sept.

I was apparently unable to retax it this month according to the DVLA unless I paid £10 for a duplicate MOT Cert.

On about the fourth call, I had a much more helpful guy who told me that SOME larger post offices will retax by checking on line for the MOT.

Its now retaxed and up to the seller to notify the DVLA when he gets round to it. And remain responsible for my speeding tickets.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you tax it online, the system validates the MoT and insurance records.

No need to walk into a post office.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-disc

If the seller has failed to notify change of owner then you will have to do it.

The Post Office didn't even ask for my insurance or MOT when I taxed my car end of Jan.

It's all online now.

I still took the docs with me though. Come October we wont even get a windscreen disc anymore.

You cannot tax it online unless you are the owner and have the V5. Otherwise the previous owner receives the tax disc.

The Post Offices don't check for insurance anymore since last November.

That might be the date that all card needed insurance unless they are declared SORN.

The one unanswered question is if you need an NOT cert if the car is not being driven but just kept stationary on the road.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The Post Offices don't check for insurance anymore since last November.
They do it online don't they?
That might be the date that all card needed insurance unless they are declared SORN.
No you are referring to 'Continuous Insurance Enforcement' introduced June 2011.
The one unanswered question is if you need an NOT cert if the car is not being driven but just kept stationary on the road.
Not unanswered Tony, just you don't know the answer!!

Pumbien v Vines

(1995) The Times June 14 Queen's Bench Divisional Court

A motor car parked on a road was being used on the road for the purposes of sections 47 and 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 even if it was totally immobilised and could only be moved by being dragged away, and, therefore, required both a valid MOT certificate and an insurance policy.

The Court so held in dismissing an appeal by way of case stated by Andee Pumbien against his conviction of offences of using a motor vehicle on a road without either a valid test certificate or insurance policy contrary to sections 47(1) and 143(1) of the 1988 act.

Plus

A motor vehicle which was mobile at least to the extent that its wheels would rotate had to be insured and there had to be an appropriate test certificate in force in respect of it before it could lawfully be parked on a road - Elliott v Grey [1960] 1 QB 367 and Gosling v Howard [1975] RTR 429.

According to the DVLA there is no requirement for a vehicle to be insured before you can tax it after November 2013.

They DO require a valid MOT and I think that has to be in date on at least the first day of the month from which the new tax will start.

Only some Post Offices can do the check on line. many still need to paper copy of the MOT.

Interesting that those two test cases found a requirement to tax and have an MOT on a vehicle which was not being driven.

It also shows that many people will be in breach of the need to have an MOT if they wait until the last minute and then it fails.

Tony

Nothing has changed in reality. To keep a vehicle on the public highway it needs tax, insurance and MOT, if applicable. Doesn't relate to whether it is being driven or capable of being driven.

Back