Velux coversion plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was hoping some of you would be able to have a look at these two plans, the first is my newly agreed plan of the first floor, which I'm very happy with, it has a full height 3.5m x 6.6m extension to the side which I'm due to start fairly soon.

Story.......

At the very beginning I realised the loft space will be massive and I'd like to put a room up there with a shower room, the architect squirmed and moaned and said why can't we just wait for building regs and do it then. Because I believed him I agreed although I thought it weird not to do it now.

Roll on 3 months the plans are agreed and I'm looking for a structural engineer - guess what they all need the loft plans before they can make the calcs.....obviously.

Go back to the architect to ask for new loft plans, yes sir no problem, £2k and we will do building regs as well!

So bloody annoyed at his attitude I decided to look into drawing them myself (see second photo), I've measured and checked possibly 50 times but that means nothing if I've made a glaring mistake with the plans, so could any of you kind folk glance over these to see if they are good enough for a SE to make calculations from and do you think its a good enough layout, and do the stairs work?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Assuming this is a loft conversion without a dormer, the SE will need to know which are the load-bearing walls at first floor level - so mark those on the plan.

Also direction of ceiling joists - presumably top-to-bottom of the plan?
Also material of construction of inner skin - ie lightweight block or traditional brick? This has a bearing on the padstones required for the steel beams

Send them some pics of the exterior of the house, and some taken in the roof space so that they can see where the main purlins are.

Thought I'd better add that the front bathroom will be smaller to allow for the positioning of the new staircase.. It's not ideal but it will be a shower room to service two bedrooms only. So I believe it will be big enough (1.5x2.5m)

Thanks

Assuming this is a loft conversion without a dormer, the SE will need to know which are the load-bearing walls at first floor level - so mark those on the plan.

Also direction of ceiling joists - presumably top-to-bottom of the plan?
Also material of construction of inner skin - ie lightweight block or traditional brick? This has a bearing on the padstones required for the steel beams

Send them some pics of the exterior of the house, and some taken in the roof space so that they can see where the main purlins are.

Hi tony, yes it's without a dorma, that's a great idea about the load bearing walls below, I'll put that into the drawing.

Other then that are there any glaring mistakes?

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd better add that the front bathroom will be smaller to allow for the positioning of the new staircase.. It's not ideal but it will be a shower room to service two bedrooms only. So I believe it will be big enough (1.5x2.5m)

Thanks

Given that a shower tray is 900 square, I dare say your shower room could be more like an ensuite if done right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back