Velux Tiling Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i just fitted a velux for the first time.
Once i came to relay the tiles i had to cut half tiles to go down both sides.
Normal stuff i'm guessing.
Problem being because of the flashing i could not hook these half side tiles on any horizonal beams (beams, rafters, bits of wood. I dont know what they are called) because the flashing covers the wood.
At the moment the tiles are fairly sturdy but they are just wedged under one another (as normal) but not hooked on anything.

These side tiles could just slide off the roof at the moment.

Would it be possible to drill a hole through each and put a thin nut & bolt or screw through these tiles??

The very top side tile on each side is hooked so the next one down could screw to that and the next one screw to that one and so on....this would hold them into place, impossible to slide off.

The tiles are the wavey, non slate usual ones (EDZ C02 flashing type)

Sorry for the lack of jargon, i dont know what half this stuff is called

Hope this makes sense, i've tried explaining as clear as possible[/b]

Sponsored Links
sometimes you have to grind the lugs of the tiles and yes drill them. But a picture will help explain what you mean

You shouldnt have cut the tiles down, use tile and halfs, they would have reached onto the battens.

Just noticed, you say they are wavy tiles, so you cant use tile and half, if theres 2 lugs on them, cant you cut them so the lug reaches onto batten, if not then drill and nail/screw, you dont need nuts and bolts.

Thats the point, the flashing covers all the battens so the tiles cant be hooked.
Nevermind, i'll probably just carefully drills holes and hook them onto one another

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back