Velux window fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
New to this.
I have bought two ggu mk08 windows and have been told I can not fit them on my roof as it is only 13.5 degree pitxh is this correct ?

Sponsored Links
Originally veluxs were to be fitted in 15--20 deg pitch so yes it is correct, however velux do make a low pitch version (ggb I think ) , so maybe you can exchange?

Don't assume as many do that Velux are the dog's whatsits. There are other and better products out there - do a bit of research.

Sponsored Links
Well they maybe he market leaders but they are very leaky market leaders, I have heard of dozens of complaints of leaky Velux windows and got a couple in my present house which I had to attend to because of poor design.

Poor design of course,perhaps you are not aware of the fact that they are forever re-designing their stuff - at least four or five times in the last twenty years to my certain knowledge. Mind you there do seem to be quite a few brainless cowboys out there who don't know how to read installation instructions but that is common place in the building industry as we all know. I am also having to rectify faulty french doors at this very minute in the house I recently moved into. It really isn't fair how much crappy work the public has to put up with from the building industry.

Lol. I've been to plenty of leaking skylights and its almost always installer error.
I've probably fitted a thousand over the years and nobody calls me back! You get a 10yr guarantee with Velux.

I don't doubt you, they are OK for the first few years then the trouble begins. Usually around the 12 - 15 year age as those rubber? seals deteriorate, possible from sunlight , I am not sure. You must know as well as I do that it's nearly always in the same place i e the bottom LH corner and of course after the end of their 10 yr guarantee so folk give up and get new ones. This should not be, they should last a lifetime. I have found that giving them a thorough cleaning will often help but there's no guarantee (LOL) and if you try getting help from them, all you get is useless waffle. If I ever have another skylight installed it will probably be a Keylight from Wickes with a 20 YEAR GUARANTEE! - and Keylight come and check it at 9 years!

That rubber seal deterioration that you are referring to happens less and less as the degree's climb.
The latest generation addresses that issue with the new 10-20 degree skylight, it has three layers of glazing along with glass to edge so no bar to hold the water on those low pitch roofs. As I said ( market leader )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back