vent in upstairs bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a vent in one of the bedrooms of a 1920's semi. Can anyone enlighten me as to why it might be there? It has a closeable grill on the inside (although there is still a draught) and has an airbrick on the outside of the cavity. It's the only one in the house apart from the under floor vents but I understand why they are there.
I would like to take it out and brick it up (and perhaps the air brick too) if it's not necessary.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks SittingBull. It looks pretty old like it's been there since the house was built. I've since read lots and found that other people also have these in rooms where there is no fireplace fitted. They assume it's just to provide some ventillation that is not necessary when there is a fireplace as the chimney stack provides ventillation. I'm pretty sure it can just be bricked up on the inside without issue.

Do you have trickle vents fitted to the window frames? If so then you are probably safe to block it up. Otherwise, proceed with caution.
We have no trickle vents on our double glazed windows which were fitted around 15 years ago, there is a 'trickle latch' option, which we have to keep open all the time to prevent condensation forming in our smallest bedroom.

Sponsored Links
Why dont you read some of the recent posts on ventilation and condensation
and get a sense of how inter-connected several variables are in keeping a room condensation free and healthy.

Perhaps do nothing but seal up on the inside with tape or similar and wait and watch for , say 12 months? If all is then fine then do whatever.

AAMOI: is the inside, movable vent cover, a hit-and-miss plastic, or a metal shutter type?

Not at the moment but the windows are old Aluminium framed ones. We are replacing them with new upvc ones but that is interesting to know - I can make sure there are vents fitted (they were not going to put them on). Thanks.

Thanks Dan, that is a good idea. There is no central heating at the moment and the windows are really bad for condensation. Both of these will be addressed soon so maybe taping up the vent is the best plan and see what happends after the other changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back