vent needs support/lintel around it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,great forums :)

I'm replcaing an air vent in the outside front wall (used for fireplace ventilation). I'm fitting a black hole vent in replacement of the current standard air brick type...

Anyway, inside the current vent pathway is a stone duct. In order to fit the new bigger vent this brick will have to be removed and replaced with the plastic duct of the new vent (which is roughly the same width and height of the brick opening).

So, my question is , is this current stone duct section a supporting feature of any kind? its obviously cemented in between the breeze blocks..
or can i just remove it , widen the hole, and insert the plastic ducting?

brick.jpg

Also, the plastic duct is slightly larger then the brick opening by about half an inch.. can i enlarge it on the brick side or is it too difficult a job without risking overwidening it or unsettling the surrounding brickwork?

Sponsored Links
the amount of masonry that you wish to remove does not warrant a lintel.

the clay duct is there to transfer air through the wall without any interference from the cavity. it is just a duct.

similarly plastic airbricks have plastic ducting.

thats what i thought.. but i thought i'd better ask to be on the safe side :)
thanks for the reply..

one other thing if you dont mind.. i could do with widening the brick hole by about half an inch.. is this adviseable or am i likely to unsettle the srrounding bricks? i was just going to attack it gently with a bolster.. :) although to be honest i reckon it could turn into a mess...

Sponsored Links
1. That is a very neat hole.

2. I just paid £5 for that beautiful ceramic sleeve that you are pulling out so look after it and maybe put it in the garden afterwards.

3. What is all that rubbish at the back of the sleeve?

4. You have nothing to worry about. Your house wont fall down. Just take that ceramic sleeve out along with the rubbish etc. and replace it with what ever you have lined up.

5. you would be better to mess around with your new plastic sleeve rather than try to expand that void by half an inch. As you say, it will almost certainly go pear shaped

1. That is a very neat hole.
thanks, but i didnt do it :)

2. I just paid £5 for that beautiful ceramic sleeve that you are pulling out so look after it and maybe put it in the garden afterwards.

getting it out intact may be difficult :)

3. What is all that rubbish at the back of the sleeve?
its the old hole in the plasterboard with a bit of paper taped over it so debris doesnt fall inside the house..

4. You have nothing to worry about. Your house wont fall down. Just take that ceramic sleeve out along with the rubbish etc. and replace it with what ever you have lined up.

okay cheers...

5. you would be better to mess around with your new plastic sleeve rather than try to expand that void by half an inch. As you say, it will almost certainly go pear shaped

yep i think you're right..

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back