Vented taps / unvented taps??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
this might sound like a silly question but I haven't got much experience in plumbing. Well, can anyone tell me the difference between vented and unvented taps. We'll be installing a under the kitchen sink electric water heater and Redring WS7 probably. It mentions that vented taps are needed. At the moment we have a 2 hole mono mixer tap (Wickes). would this do or do we have to replace it with special "vented" taps?

Thanks.

Parsman

Sponsored Links
Bad news. Vented taps are ones which dribble to let expanding water out. They are very expensive and only come in boring designs. Don't use a water heater which needs them, unless you have a special reason to.

Unvented (sealed) ater heaters are harder to install (properly, which almost nobody does) but let you use any old tap. Even wickes ones at a pinch.

There's this model I've seen,

http://www.hycomanufacturing.co.uk/speedflowunvented.html

with a pressure relief value, which I guess does the "dripping" instead, so normal taps are usable... plan to get a plumber to install it.

Just curious, anyone has any web links to any examples of electric water heaters that are vented and can use "normal" taps. Room use to have gas powered heater (vented, so there is a readymade hole in the wall, but now only has cold water pipe and electrical supply?

Pars

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back