ventilation for a summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am new to posting on this forum but have referred to it and read it many times.

I am starting a project to build a summer house in my garden. I want to be able to use it all year round so plan to insulate it well and exclude drafts.

The intention is to have wooden floor joists with solid insulation between each topped with a DPM and boards, wooden frame filled with fibre glass insulation, plaster board inside, plywood external followed by breather paper and then cladding. The roof will be felted plywood and will also be insulated with solid insulation and then plasterboarded on the inside.

It will have a couple of ready made double glazed windows and a well fitting ready made door and frame.

The question I have is: do I need to create some sort of ventilation for it and if so what and how?

I may be being neurotic or paranoid but I don't want the kids in there for a whole morning with the door shut only to find I've made a perfectly sealed box!!!

Thanks for any advice and apologies for the long winded post for a short question!

Dave

Sponsored Links
If you're buying new double glazed windows they will have trickle vents fitted as standard these days - to meet revised building regs. So this should allay any worries you have about creating an airtight box!
Best of luck with your plans.

Substitute the dpm in the floor for a breather membrane. As for ventilation trickle vents might be enough but you can always open a window a fraction.

Cheers guys.

I'll check the windows do have trickle vents before buying them.

Thanks again, Dave.

Sponsored Links
I am doing the same - but with a few changes..... roof is OSB, walls will be studs with insulation, membrane onto the outside of the studs, 2x1 on the outside to then allow cladding to be attached with an air gap between the cladding and the membrane.
I was looking at the following for the membrane, and couple of the vents to fit up in the eves at either end of the gable roof.

Would these give enough ventilation ? The same membrane will be used on the walls, under the floor and as a roofing underlay.

Underlay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230907909158

Vents:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/map-vent-louvre-vent-silver-76mm-x-229mm/68100

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back