Ventilation Hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello hope I can get an answer to this tonight as am having my house dashed tommorrow.
Anyway the old central heating system in my house was a back boiler which I fitted a coal effect fire, we had to have a ventilation hole in a wall in the room the boiler was in i:e the living room. I have now had a new combi boiler fitted upstairs in the airing cupboard. The old boiler has been decomisioned but I still use the fire, the flue for the old boiler is still in place going up through the chimney. What I`d like to know is can I fill in this hole now prior to having the house rendered or must it stay. when funds allow we will be changing the fire for one of those open coal effect fires.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler part of the fire is totally decommissioned, i.e the gas has been capped off to it and the thermocouple either cut or removed, then as long as the fire front is less than 7Kw input then you do not need any purpose fitted ventilation.

I can`t say for sure that the gas has been capped off I am assuming it has, the work was carried out by a Corgi installer. I know the gas is still coming into the livingroom for me to use the gas fire as he said it would be ok to use this fire. I know for sure there is no electrical supply going to it. I think the fire ia 3Kw

The output of the fire is ok for no purpose ventilation, but how he has decommissioned the back boiler needs clarifying. The very least it needs is the thermocouple removed or cut and all electrics to it disconnected at the fused outlet.

He may have just turned off the boiler at the 3 way gas valve :eek:

Sponsored Links
The new boiler has been in nearly a 12 month now and is due a service, I could see if I can get the same installer back and check how he has done it. You see when I first got it done I thought that that I would have to have all in the living room disconected and I would have got a new fire sooner but I was assured that I could used my old but working fire. It`s a Glow worm Ambience btw and the back boiler was Glow worm so the fire had to be sutible for the back boiler when I bought it.

As you say, get him back for the annual service and ask him exact details of how it has been decommissioned.

I am not saying what ever way he has done it is unsafe or wrong, only that my comments will cover any eventualities should something untoward was to happen ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back