Ventilation issue, help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the vent for an enclosed space (flat roof with 19cm gap between chipboard and plasterboard) is on a back wall and the joists run left to right & i need air circulation above the insulation, do i drill through the joists above the insulation line? if so would 15mm do and how many holes would you drill for a 7 foot width? Currently the vent is below the joists which is useless for insulation purposes.
thanks

1) i cant remove the roof, too costly
2) the room is freezing due to no insulation, and you can hear everything outside
3) any other idea of ventilation is welcome

Sponsored Links
No amount of drilling joists will ventilate a flat roof, unless you take the Swiss cheese approach - which does not bode well for the structural integrity of the joists

If you have, or can take the ceiling down, then just fill the whole space between the joists with your chosen insulation and make sure its tight up against the roof deck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back