Ventilation to Combi Boilers

Bengas once you go above2 floors and things such aswhen boilers and meters are under stair case majority of rules change. itsorgi bookAnd BS

Funny that, I`ve fitted loads of boilers in flats & never worried.
Sometimes on the top floor :eek:

Sponsored Links
Bengas once you go above2 floors and things such aswhen boilers and meters are under stair case majority of rules change. itsorgi bookAnd BS

Interesting, seems like I need to brush up on this subject.
Any ideas where specifically I can find this? A lot of BS are a lot of bs, I try to avoid reading them too much. Typical example: supplementary bonding. First not necessary, then code 1 if not present and notifiable, then just certifiable, and now it is not really necessary anymore as long as you have an rcd.

Bengasman,

I don't know where the requirement is in Part B but i have consulted the building control officer at our local council and he told me that as the loft is above 4m above ground level we need a 1/2hr protected fire route extending to a final exit. He told me that having the boiler on the landing would present a fire risk and comprise this fire escape route so it would need to be seperated from the stairs by 1/2hr fire resistant construction.

Believe me, i would rather not box the boiler in a cupboard if i don't have to and i have decided to get my Building Regulation approval from a private building inspector and not the local council so i will speak to him and see if he shares the same view or whether he agrees that there is no such requirement in Part B.

As said bamber its to do with fitting understairs as this is the fire escape.

As for not being able to fit a standard cooker in a flat, now that is a joke can see a lot of upset people if people stick to rules

Sponsored Links
Typical council dimwit by the sound of it. A roomsealed boiler presenting a fire risk? For future reference, a lot of people get stunned by what the “expert” from building control says, but most of them work for the council because they are too clumsy to get a job in the private sector.
Yes, your stairs need to be fireproofed, and rightly so.
I have got a strong feeling that so called expert has a vague notion of open-flue boilers in a purpose built compartment. This used to be done in the fifties.
In a case like this I would play stupid and yes boss, no boss type, and ask him to please let you know the exact paragraphs as you want to be really safe and follow the guidelines precisely. Don’t hold your breath waiting for reply.
Oh yes, do this in writing, so he can’t deny later on and say that you misunderstood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back