ventilation when removing a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I have a semi detached house, that shares its chimney with next door.
Downstairs on this chiney we have a gas fire. I want to remove the firplace upstairs in the bedroom. I have read that I will need to use a ventilation brick.

Do I need one, given the other facts? such as the downstairs gas fire or the shared chimney pot? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
every flue is independent and does not share or merge with other flues.

you will need to leave a ventilation hole which can then be covered with either a hit 'n' miss vent or a louvre plaster vent screen.

It's a vent which has a sliding inner section, meaning that you can open or close the vents.

Sponsored Links
I am still loathed to put a vent in the wall. Do i REALLY need one, if I have a gas fire downstairs. This must be ensuring a draught in the chimney?

Comments appreciated with thanks.

I am still loathed to put a vent in the wall. Do i REALLY need one, if I have a gas fire downstairs.

the truth is, no you don't.

it is not a legal requirement, but a preventative common sense one. you may be lucky and have no further problems whatsoever.

if the chimney has a history of burning fossil fuels then i would err on the side of caution.

Thanks again NA, you are reffering to the damp mixing with the soot and rotting the mortar.

I am still undecided on this one. Might be an easier choice once I have removed the fireplace.

I see some ppl put the vent under the floor boards, this might be an option.

hope i will post back once the job is done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back