Venting inbuilt fridgefreezers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grateful for expert advice on the venting space necessary at the rear of an inbuilt fridgefreezer.

I'm considering IKEA's FBCF228/64. (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90200250/?query=902.002.50)

This has the advantage of auto defrosting freezer compartment as well as the fridge. It also has a 5 year warrantee!

The unit has a depth of 560mm and the housing I already have is 570mm deep, resulting in a gap of 10mm. I'm aware that I need 200cm2 venting at the top and bottom of the housing.

My problem is that I'm not getting any meaningful answers from IKEA or Electrolux, the manufactures. Both only provide access to their call centre general advice lines.....it's proved impossible to speak with the technical teams you find with Bosch etc. Electrolux have sent me a copy of the installation manual, but there's no real data on this as the assumption is it being fitted into IKEA's housings which are 600mm deep.

Neff indicate that 10mm is OK for their units, however, none of theirs have auto defrosting freezer, which (I'm wondering) might make a difference.

With the warrantee in mind, I don't want to put this at risk.

Grateful for any advice on the science this issue raises. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Not an electrical question though.

You need to be asking this on APPLIANCES. I've asked the mods to move you.

Hi there,

With any built in fridge freezer they do require a degree of ventilation to stop them from overheating. From personal experience the cupboards that house the fridge freezer normally never have a chipboard back to the carcase the only thing you may find would be 2 or 3 small support bars,

Most kitchen cupboards also have a service gap at the back which can be anything from 20mm up to 50mm depending on the manufacture this helps with ventilation.

The heat generated from the fridge freezer will rise, to help improve the ventilation some customers and fitters prefer to fit a ventilation grill in to the plinth. This helps to draw in cool air as the hot air rises.

By fitting a ventilation grill, this will support any claim for warrantee should you ever need to use it.

Sponsored Links
I eventually gave up considering this IKEA product.

First Ikea told me it was made by West which its wasn't. After much research I discovered that Electrolux are the manufacturers. They finally told me that the gap required is 50mm. Howver, they were unable to explain how this gap could be achieved when the unit is 560mm deep and the Ikea housing unit is only 600mm deep - scrape 10mm off the wall I suppose!

If it helps, other manufacturers (Neff etc.) advise that 10-15mm is adequate provided there's 200sq cm venting top and bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back