Vents in upstairs walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All 4 of the upstairs rooms in our 1950's built house have those ugly vent bricks high up on the walls.

There is an air brick oposite on the outside skin of the wall.

There is no cavity insulation and at the moment, single glazed UPVC windows. These will probably be changed for double glazing.

Can i remove and brick up these vents?

I assume this leaves us at risk of condensation?

My wife likes to always have a window slightly open anyway. We dont suffer from any condensation at the moment (unless she's put the washing on the radiators) :rolleyes:

If i do, should i also block up the external air bricks (just the ones for the upstairs rooms)?

Do these vents serve any other purpose other than room ventilation? You dont get them in more modern houses, do old houses have them due to the chimney passing through the upstairs rooms?

Sponsored Links
Ok, but why.

Whats their purpose, and what will/might happen if i do?

Bathroom vent can go as ill fit an extractor, so then its just the bedroom ones.

Number of reasons these were fitted in the 50s. To vent for gas fires that were unvented, coal fires and to vent the cavity and roof void. Sometime a combination of all the above.

If you have no coal fire, gas fire and have CH then you could block them leaving the outside vents free to circulate, don't block any lower vents that are designed to vent the floor void.

Damp and condensation is what may happen and if you have an old gas fires then death...

Sponsored Links
Brick them up! they were to vent the rooms.

Get trickle vents in the new windows when you get them.

It will be a few weeks till i start work up there so ill tape them over for now and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back