Veritas 8 advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,
Help required please!
I have a Veritas 8 alarm and recently had new Upvc doors/windows fitted. The fitters did not put the door contacts or shock sensors back on so i have done it myself. However, the door contacts were flush and i have swapped them for surface mounted magnetic reed switches (from Maplin). The first problem i had was that the tamper light was on and no response from panel. I removed the mains power and changed the 500ma fuse and all seemed well. When i came to wire the door contacts, the existing cables to the main door were wired as follows:
Green & Yellow twisted together and connected to one terminal on flush round contact.
Blue to separate terminal.
White to separate terminal.
When i came to connect new surface contact, it was pre-cabled with a Red, Black, Blue & Yellow wire, how do i connect up please?
On the back door contact (old BIG! contact!) this was connected to a shock sensor on side window. It was connected as follows:
White into shock sensor then back out to door contact.
Same with Blue.
Green & Yellow not connected in shock sensor but twisted together and connected to one terminal in door contact.
Red & Black to seperate terminals in shock sensor but not connected in door contact.
The new contact is pre-cabled as described earlier.
How do i re-connect new contacts please?
Sorry for long post but couldn't think of any shorter way of explaining myself.
Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
you need to find out which does what on the maplin contact by using a meter. if you havent got a meter why not? you wouldnt buy nails and no hammer would you?

No - you'd buy no-nails :LOL:

O/P - can you confirm from inside the panel which colour wires are used for the tamper - I'd suspect it is Green and Yellow.
Use your multimeter set to ohms range - when your magnet is against the switch you need to find the two terminals which show closed circuit (low resistance). When the magnet is taken away the resistance should go high - almost as if you have taken the probes off.
Once you have identified this you need to connect the Blue wire to one side and white to the other.
The tamper wires can be joined together and to a spare terminal (making sure the terminal does nothing else).

Are you keeping the shock sensor?

Thanks for replying Spark123,

Yes, i have a meter. Can i make sure i understand you correctly?
I have no accessible terminal screws as unit has trailing leads. Out of the 4 wires - Red, Black, Blue & Yellow, do i keep testing until i get the pair with low resistance? If yes, do i then connect these 2 to the Blue & White from system wiring? This would then leave the remaining 2 as tamper. These would then connect to the Green & Yellow on system wiring?(if Green & Yellow are connected to tamper terminals in panel).
Yes, am using shock sensor.

Many thanks,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
you will find a pair that are closed with out the magnet next to the contact, this is the tamper pair. The other pair will go closed when you hold the magnet next to the contact

Hi Breezer,
Couldn't get a consistant reading using ohms as my placement of the probes on wires not very good! However, using continuity tester, i managed to identify tampers and zone cabling and connected up. On setting, i initially got 10 beeps indicating low power so i switched on the mains and reset. This time i get 9 beeps indicating a zone fault and zone 3 led lit up. I am not sure if this light actually indicates a zone 3 tamper or points to lid tamper. However, i put the continuity tester on the tamper terminals in panel and got a beep, then checked all zone terminals in panel and got all beeps. I then got someone to open each door in turn and set off each shock sensor whileprobing all terminals and again got beeps, then when each zone was activated, beep went off. Thinking it might be lid tamper, i released pcb and probed the 2 soldered terminals on back of tamper switch - no beep until i pushed spring in then beep!
Basically, i cant find a fault but am desperate to get to bottom of this before i have to call an engineer in! Could anybody advise me on anything else to try please?

Many thanks,

Gary.

when checking a cable for problem ou should always use ohms to check the resistance.

using the continuity funtion is a waste of time since it tells you nothing, it does not tell you the resistance, it also will say you have continuity if you have high resistance (not good for an alarm)

you should never check a circuit while it is still connected to the alarm panel even if you are measuring ohms because it will back feed through the panel and give readings which are not true

Breezer, ok, take your point but still managed to suss out zone and tamper on door contact so suppose it served its purpose! Can anybody tell me what is indicated by 3 beeps and Z3 led been lit upon setting? Is it zone 3 tamper or lid tamper?

Thanks,

Gary.

iirc the Veritas 8 only has global tamper i.e. it doesn't have a Zone 3 tamper as such - all the detector tampers are connected together in series back to two terminals. Any one tamper switch going open operates the global tamper. The lid will need to be on for the tamper to be reset.

More than likely zone 3 detector is open/activated, I take it zone 3 LED lights when you initially enter your code?
As a quick check you can put a small link wire across the ingoing terminals to zone 3 in the panel and see if this solves the problem, this will in effect disable zone 3 detector so remember to take the link out afterwards!
Is Zone 3 the one you were working on? Do you have a link to the detector you have fitted?

you could also take the wires out for cct 3 and check the resistance

Thanks Spark123/Breezer,

Zone 3 is a shock sensor with cable coming out of it to a door contact next to it. Tamper works when lid taken off sensor. There are 7 shock sensors, and 2 door contacts but only 8 zones!! Saying that, the living room has 2 windows and these are probably linked. Whoever installed the system has left no contact details and not listed which zones are which - pillock!!

Gary.

Hi Spark123,

The shock sensor Green led lights when you bang the window.

Gary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back