Veritas R8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible and ok, to have an outbuilding protected by the house alarm,
but with a strobe activated by an external PIR ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to do that ?.

Why not put a door contact on the out building & prog this for chime, then a PIR as a normal circuit fitted within the out building.

Paul.

Why not put a door contact on the out building & prog this for chime, then a PIR as a normal circuit fitted within the out building.

Paul.

The exterior PIR would set off the strobe on the outbuilding, hopefully deterring any would be thieves, before they break in and activate an internal PIR. ;)
However, if they ignore the strobe and continue, then the alarm will go off.

Can this be done or do I need a separate alarm ?

Paul.

The exterior PIR would set off the strobe on the outbuilding, hopefully deterring any would be thieves, before they break in and activate an internal PIR. ;)

as long as they only break in at night?

won`t work

Sponsored Links

Paul.

as long as they only break in at night?

won`t work

Yes night time is what i am most concerned about.
In what way won't it work ?

how long have you got?

it needs a seperate power supply to the external detector this will then need connecting to an external sounder that has a seperate 12V strobe input and then it needs someone to actually notice its flashing .......... just wrong IMO

It could work, you will need a permanent 12v supply to your PIR then sending the switched negative up to the strobe.

Could you not fit another external bell on the outhouse, a modern type of bell with leds on it, they are a very good deterrent as "johnny burglar" knows the alarm is real & working. You will also have the benefit of the sounder with the bell box.

Paul.

It could work, you will need a permanent 12v supply to your PIR then sending the switched negative up to the strobe.

Could you not fit another external bell on the outhouse, a modern type of bell with leds on it, they are a very good deterrent as "johnny burglar" knows the alarm is real & working. You will also have the benefit of the sounder with the bell box.

Paul.

Cheers. Yes there is no problem fitting another bell box to the outhouse.
The outhouse btw is a shipping container, which means the bell box would be within reach, which I wanted to avoid.
I hoped that by having a strobe attached to outhouse, set of by a PIR
that would be a good deterrent to any intruder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back