Vertical Radiator Connections - is BBOE same as TTOE ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,

Newbie on this forum and need some help on this ..... trawled the web for hours trying to find an answer!!!!

Anyway, Mrs wants these fancy vertical rads and I can save myself a bundle of work if I mount the flow and return connections at the top for the downstairs radiators.

I intend to use a Drayton TRV4 & conventional locksheild and according to my school boy physics, this is the same as a conventional BBOE (Bottom Bottom opposite Ends) connection used by every man and his dog.

Given that hot water rises etc... only downside might be a cooler radiator at the bottom but the convection water circulation action should be the same? - or am I being a complete numpty!

Any help much appreciated good people. :)

Sponsored Links
I can save myself a bundle of work if I mount the flow and return connections at the top for the downstairs radiators.

You are not too bothered about heating the room then. :LOL:

Come on Bacho - Don't leave me hanging!! What is the gem of information behind your comment.

I am ready to be officially labelled a numpty!

hot water rises.

If your flow of hot water goes into the bottom of a rad, it will rise up and fill the top.

If it goes in at the top and out at the bottom, it will push the cold water out and fill the rad with hot water.

If it goes in at the top, and out at the top of the other side, it will not spread downwards, so all but the top inch of your rad will be cold.

OK

You are a numpty. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The most important thing to remember is the amount of work it will save you :!: :LOL:

;)

Well, it works fine on a Towel Rail in my house...ladder style one about 4 foot tall :confused: Try putting a 10mm copper tube down inside the flow side ..like the double entry microbore rad valves used to :idea: .that`s only an idea............before all the corgi`s start barking :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

Really appreciate the feedback - guess I am off the on wrong track but it still intrigues me how a BBOE works given the explanation of hot water rising by by JohnD

The inverse must be true - cold water falls - hence the circulation action.

Many thanks once again - time to chase those walls!

Fitted a towel rail with top entry/exit pipes.

Soldered a lengtth of copper to the inside of a rad insert and put it on the return.

Works a blooming treat.

Dan_Robinson said:
Fitted a towel rail with top entry/exit pipes.

Soldered a lengtth of copper to the inside of a rad insert and put it on the return.

Works a blooming treat.

Blah,Blah,Blah ;)
Of course you did Dan ;) ;)
Why don't you scan your qualifications so we can marvel at your experience :?:
ps.......it's flow and return pipes :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
exit is what you will see in cinemas while watching cowboy films :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back