Very bad TV reception

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Have just moved to area with very poor TV reception and have tried a signal booster with marginal improvement. Can anyone advise please

Sponsored Links
Well, what sort of booster did you try? Plug in ones are generally only good for powering a distribution system.

A masthead amplifier is best for a poor signal area, you should check you have a high gain aerial, see if you do have a masthead amplifier etc.

Where exactly do you live (postcode can be helpful) - are you sure that reception is poor, and not just your aerial installation at fault, or pointing to a weaker transmitter?

The only additional things to say are check the cable from the aerial. Also if you are going to upgrade the aerial, you may have to get a stouter fixing pole to take the extra weight.

A masthead amp requires a small amount of power, this can be supplied from a tv distribution /amp with a pass through socket.

If you go here http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/tvr.htm, and select the reception predictor (either analogue or digital depending what you have) you can put your postcode in and you'll get a selection of TV transmitters and power output plus recommended TV aerial and amplifier.

Some places just have naff TV reception. The only other bit I'd add to the other previous posts (all good stuff) is that increasing the height of the aerial can also improve things.

If it's really bad you'll end up with higher aerial, high gain antenna and masthead amplifier. When that doesn't work go for satellite!

Sponsored Links
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

As regards digital, this probably gives a better idea, though is slightly overcautious. That said, if you can get digital in your area, and your analogue picture is bad it could very much be worth it.

If you go here http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/tvr.htm, and select the reception predictor (either analogue or digital depending what you have) you can put your postcode in and you'll get a selection of TV transmitters and power output plus recommended TV aerial and amplifier.

A few notes on this. I find the aerial suggestion to be a little over cautious, while at the same time sometimes including transmitters you won't be able to get.

The ones towards the top on this article ought to give the best reception, though sometimes if you live very close to one (like within a mile or two) it might be a good idea to try that first. However, you should note as to whether that transmitter will give you reception on Five or digital or not. If there's not much difference, go for one that gives you these.

Thanks everyone , I think I need to do some checking. '' I'LL BE BACK''

Had a similar problem and it was one of the outer earth copper mesh wire cable touching the solid copper wire in the connection plug.

Any ideas why our reception (with booster) is bad during summertimes and getting 'better' during autumn/winter? Specially bad are ITV1 and channel 4.
We would like to have a freebox etc, but with such a bad reception we're still unsure.

daft that it sounds yes, its the trees etc, they loose their leeves in winter, so as they conatin water they are not there now so do not block signal

Your joking?!?
We thought it was our location and the high pressures in summer. Any ideas how to solve this
(without cutting every tree down, hmmm.. could make some nice flooring out of that though ;)))

i wish i was joking, i have seen similar before with radio kit, installed in winter works fine untill spring.

That was the only explanation we could figure, raising and moving transmitter (in our case) solved the problem

only suggestion can you raise height of aerial

It would be the problem if you have a lot of trees in front of you, often causes ghosting also.

We also get a crap reception on Five in summer, since the frequencies for Five are often reused more frequently than others. In summer, we get interference from Lichfield, for example, and despite living right up in the further north part of yorkshire, we can often receive Belmont, sometimes Sutton Coldfield etc.

So in summer, you get skip, in which signals are basically 'carried' further by the atmoshpere. On a few occaisions I've been able to get a signal on channel 4 from Crystal Palace also, good enough to get reliable teletext. Of course, some of these are on the same frequencies as other channels (crystal palace, for example, with the exception of channel four has the same frequencies of bilsdale, so I expect that incident caused hell for those round here who don't have their aerial pointing to emley moor).

WoodYouLike said:
Any ideas why our reception (with booster) is bad during summertimes and getting 'better' during autumn/winter? Specially bad are ITV1 and channel 4.
I has this problem 2 years ago because of the trees in front of it and now moved the aerial to the other side of my property, has no problem since then.
We would like to have a freebox etc, but with such a bad reception we're still unsure.
Did you mean freeview box ? if so you do get a better picture quality and sometime I do get a picture freeze block which is rare as my area postcode is not ready to accept freeview, you can buy one from Dixon's and they will refund your money back within 7 days if you're not happy with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back