Very hot sitting room rad!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved to a new house with an open fire and loving it. problem is the radiator in the sitting room has 2 lockshield valves and the rooms gets so hot when the fire is lit.

Can i close one or both of the LS valves a bit to reduce the temp or will i have to get a themo valve fitted?

im having to sit in shorts and then freeze going outside for more fuel for the fire!

Sponsored Links
On a separate note, there are 2 newly wired switches beside the pump for the fire. one activates the pump and the other apparently does nothing!

any ideas what it might do? i haven't tried tracing the wires yet, but can do if there are no ideas!

Sponsored Links
is it a mechanical timer?

if it is you can usually hear a faint ticking. Turn the switch off and see if ticking stops.

if its digital then switch off and see if the display goes?

To answer the original question, I would say the radiator is being used as a heat sink so no, you can't turn it off.

Reading the original question, presumably the radiator is fed by the central heating, and the fire has no back boiler?
If it gets too hot, turn off the valve at the rad that flows, i.e gets hot first and leave the other one alone. (Fitting a TRV will do this for you automatically, of course).
Adjusting the lockshield on the rad return will upset the balancing of the system - this one is normally open only one turn anyway, as a very rough guide.
John :)

thanks John, ill give it a go. there is a back boiler though.

You don't have to read my post but it is recommended.

The reason it has two lockshield valves is so it cannot be turned off. :rolleyes:

If there is a commissioned back boiler, then the waste heat has to be dispersed somehow, so heat sink rads are used (brill post above) :p
If you reduce the rad output, then the loft tank boils and you get a loft full of steam. Not recommended!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back