Very low water pressure from bore hole feed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm considering buying an isolated single story cottage, It is fed from a bore hole a considerable distance away.The cottage is just about at the top of a hill and the cold water comes through at a trickle, previous occupants say it has been like that for 30 yrs. The next house on the bore hole feed is about 1/2 a mile away down the other side of the hill and he has a good pressure presumably due to the head of water in the pipe. How do I overcome this problem- pump, accumalator, bigger tank- Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Large tank(s) in your loft and a pump. An accumulator needs good pressure to charge up and it sounds like you probably don't have that.

The cottage is just about at the top of a hill and the cold water comes through at a trickle, previous occupants say it has been like that for 30 yrs. The next house on the bore hole feed is about 1/2 a mile away down the other side of the hill and he has a good pressure presumably due to the head of water in the pipe.

Where's thge borehole, relative to your cottage (above, below & horizontal distance)? Are anny other properties supplied from it?

Hi, I believe it is approx 1/2 mile away and on a similar elevation, however it drops down across the fields then rises back up the hill to the cottage. From there it continues to go over the top of the hill and down the other side to a couple of other properties but they have good pressure. Someone told me to combat a similar problem they put a 500lt tank in their roof space and just let the trickle feed take its time?

Sponsored Links
Pressurise it on the way out, you don't want to start pumping it into your tank you'll cause a whole heap of problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back