Very Noisy Toilet Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted a problem last week when my shower was losing pressure when the temp was increased (still not fixed, but bearable for now).

Over the last couple of days, when the toilet is flushed and the cistern is refilling, as it nears the end of the fill it starts to make a very loud foghorn type noise, and if a cold tap is turned on the noise disappears.

I'd be grateful if anyone had any ideas as to what this could be and if it somehow related to the shower problem. The cistern doesn't appear to be filling as high as it was, though this is an educated guess looking at where the water line is.

Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming..

John

Sponsored Links
I assume the ball valve is the arm with the ballcock on the end. If I lift this manually and close the valve the noise stops, but obviously the water stops refilling.

Is it likely to need replacing or maybe just cleaning as it looks a bit mucky ??

Cheers

John

I had the same problem in the house I just left a few weeeks ago - the little plastic screw thread that allows you you to adjust the shut off position for the ball cock was touching the side of the cistern.

After every flush, just as it neared the fill point, the noise was just as you describe and would go if a cold tap was turned on or the screw mechanism was moved.

I cut about 2/3mm off the end of the plastic mechanism and this solved the 'whine' immediately.

Check this isn't happening with yours.

Homer

Sponsored Links
Change old ballvalve to a fluidmaster mini float valve :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back