Very old henley fuse box

there may be no head in the flat, the tails may just enter the meter.

If it was me, I'd be ringing the DNO first thing in the am anyway

Sponsored Links
there may be no head in the flat, the tails may just enter the meter.
Indeed - that's what one would expect if those 'tails' did originate at the 3-phase head we've been looking at. However, as I've said, we've been told (rightly or wrongly):
and there is a fuse there [in mum's flat] that can be pulled out in order to fit a new meter.
If it was me, I'd be ringing the DNO first thing in the am anyway
On that we can definitiely agree! Indeed, from what the OP has said, if it were me I would probably have called them at least 10 years ago!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It is.

I didn't pick up on that but quite frankly it beggars belief that someone would post a photo of their CU, not only in a different flat but in a different building as if it could possibly have any relevance.

It is. I didn't pick up on that but quite frankly it beggars belief that someone would post a photo of their CU, not only in a different flat but in a different building as if it could possibly have any relevance.
It does have relevance, and therefore doesn't beggar belief, given that what the OP said when he first posted it was that he thought that his mother's setup looked the same as his. I suspect he was probably wrong in that recollection, and hopefully we will find out in due course.

Kind Regards, John

It looks like the 2 newer grey cables in here are live and neutral

they can be seen heading out of the white box, along with an earth which is clipped onto the bottom of the white box, to the newish grey box with the lever on in here

So that leaves the mystery of the remaining 4 lives (plus the small intercom live) and the 1 remaining neutral (plus the small intercom neutral). Could the single neutral be split off at a different point?

It looks like the 2 newer grey cables in here are live and neutral
I can't see that there can be any doubt about that!
they can be seen heading out of the white box, along with an earth which is clipped onto the bottom of the white box, to the newish grey box with the lever on in here
Indeed so.
So that leaves the mystery of the remaining 4 lives (plus the small intercom live) and the 1 remaining neutral (plus the small intercom neutral). Could the single neutral be split off at a different point?
Indeed - and, as I've been saying, can we even be sure that those other ('old') conductors are still in use (i.e. connected to anything), or even that there are fuses in all three of the carriers?

Kind Regards, John

...can we even be sure that those other ('old') conductors are still in use (i.e. connected to anything), or even that there are fuses in all three of the carriers?

Kind Regards, John
I would say not, at which point, as said, it sounds like an electrican needs to have a good look over it.

Daniel

I would get the DNO in in the first instance, they're free!!
Indeed - but it seems that the concern of the OP (or his mother) is that the (direct or indirect) consequences of getting the DNO in may not prove to be free!

Kind Regards, John

I cant comment on what it would or wouldnt cost to get the DNO in, and that might be the best first option but I cant imagine it would cost and arm and a leg to get a spark in for an hour to give it a look over and shed some light. Some might be able to do that job on there own, but where the other wires go, and where the feed for the flats comes to is potentally relivent.

Although thought that comes to me is, is it possable that the locked box contains a meter? Seems unlikely but so does the shared lighting being unmetered.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back