VERY SLOW PC START UP

Regarding the list of the msconfig Startup processes;
All of them can be unticked without any problems with Windows running at bootup,
EXCEPT
MSASCui which is the Windows Defender.

The ctfmon can be left because MS Word will put a tick back in the box next time it starts up.

The jusched is the Java Update scheduler which is a pain because it only checks for updates once a month but runs every day when you start up. Untick it in the startup list then:
Go to Control Panel -> switch to Classic View -> double click the Java Icon -> Update Tab -> untick the 'Check for updates automatically -> Apply -> OK.

What alarms me is that you do not appear to have any anti virus program running at startup. Do you have one installed? Because if not you should get one pronto.

Also are you using the Windows Firewall?

dave

Sponsored Links
I am doing this one step at a time. so I have unchecked the 3 items Bahco has suggested.
I have now just restarted my computer and have this message on the screen (which I have left there for now until I hear back). the message:
SYSTEM CONFIGURATTION UTILITY
YOU HAVE USED THE SCU TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE WAY WINDOWS STARTS.
THE SCU IS CURRENTLY IN DIAGNOSTIC OR SELECTIVE MODE CAUSING THIS MESSAGE TO BE DISPLAYED AND THE UTILITY TO RUN EVERYTIME WINDOWS STARTS.
CHOOSE THE NORMAL STARTUP MODE ON THE GENERAL TAB TO START WINDOWS NORMALLY AND UNDO THE CHANGES YOU MADE USING THE SCU.
(little tick box here) DONT SHOW THIS MESSAGE OR LAUNCH THE SCU WHEN WINDOWS STARTS.

I have left the message on the sceen as I am not sure what I do next so will wait until I hear back. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ignore that message and put a tick in it.

Have you found it is faster? I would untick the rest (as DaveM has advised) and run your machine and let us know if it is a lot faster.

It should be and you would be wise to run anti spyware too. You can find this at Download.com where you should also find Avira Anti virus and Zone Alarm which you should install as soon as poss.

The best AV/Firewall protection you can get is common sense. It's free and won't slow your PC down.

Sponsored Links
Sorry didnt get back here quicker, but I have done all the unchecking the box things exactly as mentioned.
As for the virus checker I know I shouldnt just rely on the Windows checker as this dosnt run constanly but I do try to use quite regular.
So... I unchecked all the boxes and the PC has been getting used as normal and still very slow but I am putting this down to sons intense uni work at the moment and the fact that we have had to put on Corel Paintshop X2, which will be uninstalled once he finishes, which will be soon.
Now when I open up Windows clean up centre I am receiving this message:
INTERNET EXPLORER SCRIPT ERROR
LINE. 2
CHAR. 1
ERROR. INVALID CHARACTER
CODE. 0
URL. ABOUT BLANK
DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE RUNNING SCRIPTS ON THIS PAGE.

I was given this message yesterday and so clicked YES and carried out the clean up which takes between 8-9 hours. I thought this would sort this error out. But when I try again today the same message is coming up.
Any ideas what this is, and why it it happening.
Thank you all again in advance.

Yes... reading a lot of the replies..... Low memory. Celeron processor... No need to reinstall Windows. That is over the top. And memory is cheap so upgrade to 1GB if you can. Either way read on....

Things that affect your performance.

(1) Norton Antivirus / Norton tools. If you have it installed, are not paying your subscription for virus database updates then you might as well remove it - and you will notice the difference in speed. You will need to install another antivirus software product. I use AVG 8.0 free edition it's great / low over head and is updated almost daily.

(2) Get rid of your temporary internet and other temp files and sort out your registry. Download CCleaner.exe free. It will find and remove all you temporary / unused files and will sort all of your registry problems. Run daily - only takes a few mins. First time will take longer.

(3) Start up files. Either use MSCONFIG to remove unnecessary services when your PC starts up or CCleaner.exe can also do the same as MSCONFIG.

(4) Defrag your hard disk. Use the Microsoft defrag. I have had problems with some other top notch defrag / disk optimizers which have damaged the file system.

(5) Have a look at your browser settings and set the number of days to keep history to 0 or 1.

Hope this helps - there are all sorts of ways to optimize your browsers such as the number of threads and max http pipelining ("regedit" for IE and "about:config" for FF)

Let me know how you get on.

Thank you all once again, the PC seems to be working a little quicker but I have to put this down to it must be in good mood at the moment as for some strange reason it goes like this now and again.
As mentioned I use the Windows Clean Up Centre to do a full virus check, clean up, defrag, tune up, etc etc etc but have not been able to run this as I was getting the message[INTERNET EXPLORER SCRIPT ERROR
LINE. 2
CHAR. 1
ERROR. INVALID CHARACTER
CODE. 0
URL. ABOUT BLANK
]
Does anyone know what this means as if I dont use the Windows checker then I have no virus check in use at all (scary). Also what is the Event Viewer?[/quote]

Forgot to mention that everytime I do go to defragment it tell me 'the volume does not need defragmenting this time'.
I can only assume this is because when I do the Windows Clean Up Centre check this does do all this when I select a full clean up.
Must I still defragment myself from my system tools box anyway.

Hi There,

Try this - it usually works - every time.

Launch Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and navigate to your C Drive. Scroll down and look for
or
folder/directory.

If / when you find it will be full of crud. Chunks of files (& broken files), all kinds of file pointers, temporary file location, file references pieces of programs <ad nauseum >- you name it and Windows will dump it in here. Think of it as your PC's version of 'fly-tipping'. Windows looks at this stuff on Start-Up by default and it's not uncommon to have hundreds of megabytes of junk in this location. Why ??? - ask Bill.

Now expand the Temp or temp folder and visit each folder contained there and click it once. Now look over to the right hand pane. At the top of the list of files you should see Date Modified. Click to put ALL the files in Date Order. Now select everything that dates back from yesterday and hit the Delete key. Windows won't let you delete
temp files anyway).

Do this for ALL the folders in Temp or temp then Close Explorer, shut down and switch off. Now restart your PC.

One final check. Have a look to see if there's a DVD or CD-ROM in that drive draw. They constantly spin-up and hold up the operating system.

Good Luck

Thanks for those recent replies. I have opened explorer and found the temp. There are only 7 folders here (in that right hand pane). They are:
AdbeRdr705_enu_full Application file 06/02/06
AdbeRdr707_en_US Application file 12/02/06
psa30se_en_us Application file 06/02/06
salm_gdf DAT File 16/12/04
salm_kyf DAT File 22/12/04
salmau DAT File 22/12/04
ytb612_efgsip Application file 12/02/06
Ok, I'm a coward and I'm frightened to delete these. Do you literally mean right click each one and delete. Hmmmmm I'm unsure.
But also you tell me to hit the delete key and then say 'windows wont let you delete tempory files anyway. one contradicts the other.
Is there a chance this could go wrong. Sorry I'm great at using these things but anything technical I havnt a clue. Can you give me confidence to do this, I cant take any risks as my sons entire University is on it. Its all backed up but at this moment in time I cant take a risk. So do I still just delete the above files and is this the solution for the message I am getting INTERNET EXPLORER SCRIPT ERROR

Someone mentioned the Event Viewer. I found all this but still and went to your click here and click here suggestions and brought both pages up with lots of Windows info but there dosnt seem to be anything that tells me what to do.
IS THIS ALL CONFUSING? :oops:

Hi Nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice,

Looks like you've been bombarded with FIX suggestions doesn't it?

What I actually said was 'Windows won't let you DELETE
temp files. These are usually the files Windows (and installed applications) are using TODAY, NOW and as you work on stuff). So it's not a contradiction.

You can single click any file/folder and hit the DELETE key to remove.

Windows asks if you want to Send the files/folders to the Recycle Bin. This is OK except it just FILLS UP the Recycle Bin instead. It might be worth accepting this option just in case anything does go wrong. You can easily restore stuff from the Recycle bin. You click on any item and Windows knows where it belongs and will Restore to the previous location it was deleted from.

From the list of detail you posted, this stuff is from 2006 and 2004 in any case.

Navigate back up to the temp folder in Explorer view. Right click in the Left hand pane on the yellow folder and select Properties from the pop-up menu. This action will COUNT all the Files and give you the size they occupy on the hard drive. This shows as Size, and Size on Disc. If it's more than 200MB the folder will need cleaning out.

If you're really that worried about it then leave it alone and put up with it.

Right I have done this, this, this and this but when I try to run the Windows Clean Up at the clean centre I am still getting the message.
INTERNET EXPLORER SCRIPT ERROR
LINE. 2
CHAR. 1
ERROR. INVALID CHARACTER
CODE. 0
URL. ABOUT BLANK
Does anyone know what this is. It has never happened until recently. I can click yes to continue using but I'm afraid this will not be carrying out the virus check efficiently. why is this message suddenly appearing and what can I do to amend it.??????

Have now carried out all instructions.
I have downloaded AVG and SPYBOY SEARCH & DESTROY, and ran both of these, 2 trojan horses and 1 virus was found. So can I now safely remove WINDOWS DEFENDER and MICROSOFT ANTIVIRUS (which I think was from the Microsoft Cleanup Centre that I used to use.) Up to now OK but havnt been on here long enough yet to find out this will slow down.

Sponsored Links
Back