VESA Fixings & Samung TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I buy a new TV, I want to wall mount it, the Samsung instructions say use all the parts in the kit (they don't say the make of kit). I buy a kit & then find the fixings for the bracket to the TV are not as required. Why cant the manufactures provide these fixings, they would only cost a few pence, there must be lots of people like me that then have to sort around for fixings.
I think I need 4 x M8 x 19.8/20.8
I thought I had a nice little Sunday morning job.
Oh well Ebay here we come.

==
Edit
first place to look for screws & as I said I'm not the only one.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/m8-screws-for-tv-wall-mount.1382016/

SAMSUNG SORT YOURSELF OUT

Sponsored Links
Oh well Ebay here we come.
or Screwfix if you don't want to wait.

You're correct that Samsung aren't adhering to the VESA standards. Anything bigger than a VESA 200x100 should be using M6 size bolts. I'm not sure what good complaining about it here does though other than to vent a bit. As for the bracket manufacturer, if they're adhering to the standards as well then they really can't be blamed.

Good luck with your project.

Yes it was venting.
Didn't think of Screwfix, although round trip of 90mins.
Ordered 5 bolts Ebay due Tues/wed £1.78.
That was my point the price to Samsung a few pence

The solution really is for Samsung to use the correct size threaded holes so that any bracket & bolt combo that adheres to the VESA standard will work without issue. But since neither you nor I nor anyone else on this site alone can influence that decision to the degree required to get a TV manufacturer to change their manufacturing practises then what's left is to deal with the situation as it stands. It's not ideal, but it is pragmatic.

Speaking of pragmatism, the reality is that if Samsung did supply M8 bolts then it shifts the issue and becomes one of "Your bolts don't fit my bracket", so they 'fix' one issue and create another.

As for the length of time it would take you to go to Screwfix and back, well I wouldn't know about that; and how could I? It was simply an alternative suggestion as some folk set out their plan to complete something on the day and prefer not to wait. Screwfix isn't the only option of course. There's B&Q, Tool Station, or any of the other big DIY chains open on Sundays. That's not much help if you live 45 minutes from any of them, but again without you posting chapter and verse about your circumstances then how would anyone really know when replying :D It could just as easily have been "Oh great! They're only just down the road. Job sorted."

As it stands though you're not pushed for time to complete the job and the Ebay solution works for you, so yay you! :)

Sponsored Links
A few pence? The Rover SD1 ended up with a standard mechanical speedometer instead of an electronic display because the latter cost £1 more. That would have taken the purchase price beyond the magic £4,750 so the idea was dropped!

Lol had the same issue with the Samsung bolts ! Even too big to go through the wall mount holes , had to drill them out , also if I remember 3 short and one long one !

You're correct that Samsung aren't adhering to the VESA standards. Anything bigger than a VESA 200x100 should be using M6 size bolts.

Sort of.

7.4 Screw Mounting Interface
This standard utilizes a multiple-hole screw mounting interface hole pattern consisting of
6 mm ∅, 1.0 pitch x 12 mm or 8 mm ∅, 1.25 pitch x 16 mm minimum depth threaded holes
integrated into the rear of the display.

On the other hand:
7.4.3 Mounting Screw Specifications
• Wall mount or specialty mounting applications for all displays weighing up to 50 kg (110
lbs.) utilizing standard Hex, Round, Shoulder or Button Head metric bolts
o 6 mm ∅, 1.0 pitch metric bolts.

• Wall mount or specialty mounting applications for all displays weighing over 50 kg (110
lbs.) utilizing standard Hex, Round, Shoulder or Button Head metric bolts
o 8 mm ∅, 1.25 pitch metric bolts.

So they went a tad overkill with the bolt size.. but considering the quality of brackets people use, and their limited ability to apply sense when fitting them, M8 is probably a better choice anyway. And only very slightly non-standard.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a consumer display which DOES comply:
7.5 Mounting Interface Compliance Identification/Label
All FDs complying with this Part F, Section 7 of FDMI shall be labeled as specified in Section 8.
Labeling for the example shown in Paragraph 7.4.7 would be as follows:
• VESA MIS-F, 600, Y, 6

Not a label I can honestly say I've noticed on anything from a 32" no-name to an 80" Sharp. (oh boy, those are fun to hang flush)

.....and whether it's M6 or M8 securing the bracket to the display, it's more likely that the fixings in to the wall will give way before those in to the back of the TV :D :ROFLMAO: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back