Vibrating sound from heating boiler in the morning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got an Vaillant ecoTEC plus 624. Its nearly two years old. In fact, today is the last day it's under warranty (31 Dec 09).

When the heating starts in the morning, the radiators in my bedroom make this high pitched vibrating sound. It's not a thumping, more like the sound you might expect if you were to place an electric toothbrush on a table.

All my rads have TRV's (plumbers merchant told me they were all bi-directional).

The problem goes away after about 1 hour once the heating is up to temperature.

What I know:

1. I've bled all the rads - no air at all.
2. It's a 3 zone system. If I turn all 3 zones on at the same time (house ch, bathroom ch and hot water), then sound goes away. Normally, when the heating starts in the morning, only the heating zones are open. Water heating is later in the day.

The sound is loudest on the copper pipes under the boiler.

I've had the front off the boiler, and used a mechanics stethoscope on the varoius parts inside:

The heating element makes no vibration noise,
The fan makes no vibration noise.
The pump makes no vibration noise (just sounds like rushing water - as you'd expect).
When I listen to the copper pipe exiting the pump under the boiler - bingo - the vibrating noise.
This noise is then heard in my bedroom.

I've tried altering the trv settings, the only one that makes any difference is on one of the bathroom rads. Oddly enough, if I turn it down, the noise goes in the bedroom, but you can not hear it in the bathroom anyway.

This morning, the sound started again, witht he bath trv turned down.

I'm wondering if it's a part on the boiler that needs replacing (pump?).

This sound started about a month ago, and is getting louder.

For now, I've just set all 3 zones to open in the morning, but if its a sign that a part on the boiler is failing, then I'll have to make the claim today before the warranty runs out.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Good idea adlplumbing,

I called them today, and they're sending a technician tomorrow (new years day!) under the warranty.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back