Victorian bannister & spindles - taking out & puttin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to completely strip the victorian staircase in my house.

I've done most of the actual stairs & sides however I'd like to do the bannister & spindles as well. It would make sense to me (?!) to have the spindles dipped & then replace them.

has anyone got any experience of taking the bannister, posts & spindles apart & then replacing them?

I've also got a balcony bannister which goes into the wall at either end - any idea how you deal with this?

can do some pics if it helps.

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
pictures may help but if they are glued in forget it unless you are prepared to redo most

if they come out easily,go ahead but remember they have been there for a long time and the last thing you want to do is damage it.

i have considered donig that in my house for 0.0004 seconds

so i stripped all the wood in place,although a long boring job it now looks superb.

The idea of stripping over 100 spindles in place is more scary to me than trying to remove them & get them dipped.....

Sponsored Links
I'd like to completely strip the victorian staircase in my house.

has anyone got any experience of taking the bannister, posts & spindles apart & then replacing them?

Did you take out any of the bits after? Was it a difficult job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back