Victorian Semi - no DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at putting in an offer on a 2 Bed Victorian Semi and had now paid our 2nd visit to the property and have fallen in love with it. Before we put an offer in I thought I'd come on here and ask a few questions that are bugging us. I've had to split them into sections for different sections of the forum so pls feel free to go and look at my other questions!

Brief background to help-
Classic 2 up, 2 Down, no bay at front, front door on the side - steep stairs straight up, small kitchen off the dining room. Upstairs, bedrooms above living room and dining room and bathroom off bedroom 2 above kitchen. Fireplaces in all rooms incl kitch/bath.

There is no visible DPC on the outside walls. The ground floors are also concrete so must have been filled in maybe due to rotting timbers? I was just wondering what advice anyone would give in this situation in terms of preventing damp. The living room/dining room have both suffered from damp but to be honest not badly at all. A few people that I have spoken to seem to think that victorian houses without DPC and solid brick walls are actually fine as long as properly ventilated, I just worry about the internal concrete floors conducting water through the walls if the get damp at the bottom from heavy rain..
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Jon

Sponsored Links
the concrete floor should have been put on a DPC if not you would know as the concrete would be very damp. You often find in these old properties that they dry out quite well once you have the heating/fire lit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back