Victorian terrace - party wall cracking should I pull out of the sale ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had a full structural survey back for a Victorian terrace we are looking to purchase and it came back with some alarming concerns including a 999 moisture reading on all external walls tested and several vertical and horizontal cracks. We are worried by the recommendations and our immediate thoughts are to pull out of the sale but in the meantime would like to get your thoughts on here.

Here are two extracts from the report

https://imgur.com/nJWHz2q

https://imgur.com/lQz8XX3

We haven't lived in a Victorian terrace so have no idea if this is more "normal" than we think however we are currently devasted at the idea of losing our sale and purchase.

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Victoriancracker, good evening.
undertake remedial s of this nature on a "Party Wall
Short answer is Walk Away, sorry about that but?

The vendor should have disclosed?
The crack runs over two floors?
Getting Co-Operation to undertake a repair of Subsidence in a "Party Wall" can be [shall we say] be difficult.

As for intimating an Insurance claim at some point in the future, bluntly, forget that !!!

1/. When you apply for buildings Insurance Cover you "MUST" disclose to the Insurer that there are [possibly] on-going Subsidence issues, if you do not disclose and at some point make a claim for Subsidence to the Insurer, they will ask for the conveyancing Survey, which clearly flags possible Subsidence, at that point [believe it or not??] the Insurer will decline your Subs claim ----- AND can "void" your insurance cover ----totally---completely and it will be on an electronic record somewhere that the Insurance industry can have access to??

2/. So at some time in the future if you have to appoint Engineers, a Party Wall Surveyor, Contractors Et-All then the cost will be yours, NO Insurance cover.

As for the moisture readings on [all??] external walls indicates possible rising damp [and / or ] penetrating damp.

Ken

Listen to Ken!

That's a big crack in the bricks. Find another home, there's always more dream homes around than you think!

Yeah, walk away, let the vendor pay for it to be fixed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I actually was just sent a document from the owners that show that late last year, they hired a structural engineer to inspect the main crack, who recommended epoxy and steel tie plugs.

They obviously didn't complete these repairs..should they not have disclosed this up front, saving me the time and money..

Sadly we will have to lose out on our dream home and pull out.

Thanks all. I actually was just sent a document from the owners that show that late last year, they hired a structural engineer to inspect the main crack, who recommended epoxy and steel tie plugs.

They obviously didn't complete these repairs..should they not have disclosed this up front, saving me the time and money..

Yes they should have disclosed, but they are obviously hoping people won't do due diligence.

Which could actually come back to haunt them later on.

Really they need to fix it to sell, or take a massive hit on the asking price to cover the cost of repairs

Your dream home may have quickly become a nightmare in the future. While it's frustrating and may feel like you've wasted money... you have in fact been very prudent and potentially saved yourself a lot of money and stress.

Hi all, wanted to get some more thoughts on this issue.

The structural engineer they commissioned to take a look at the cracks before we found the house stated the following:

"The vertical cracking noted in the rear loft appears to be historical and recommended to be repaired. It is recommended that the crack is filled and repaired. Crack should be infilled using Epoxy resin and then repaired using corner mild steel metal ties plug and screwed to both party wall and the return wall. At least 3 No. ties must be used vertically spaced equally. There are no further structural remedies are required. "

This assessment seems to be in contrast with the comments in the structural survey that I posted along with the images above.

Do you think it's worth getting a third opinion? How does one determine if the crack is historical and does it being historical have any meaning with regards to the seriousness of this issue?

Also they said that the works recommended above should cost 300-500. That sounds alarmingly low for something that looks so serious and begs the question of why the sellers didn't just pay for it to be fixed before selling it?

This assessment seems to be in contrast with the comments in the structural survey that I posted along with the images above.
Are you sure you had a structural surrey? It does not appear to be written by a structural engineer.

was acting for the vendors and has to say how the faults in the house can be repaired at low cost so as to make the house saleable.

So do you think it's even worth me asking if they'd pay for an independent engineer to come and assess it and the long term implications?

I'm also confused because the neighbour with the party wall of issue has just completely refurbished their home including a full loft extension. Could this have any implications?

Basically I'm trying to grasp at straws here and want to be certain before walking away

Are you sure you had a structural surrey? It does not appear to be written by a structural engineer.

The images I uploaded in my OP was part of a building survey (or full structural survey). It was from a surveyor not a structural engineer. This is why I'm trying to investigate this further

The only way to know if the problems are historical are not are to monitor it over a period of time. Something you don't have the luxury of, unless you want to buy the house and take a big gamble!

The only way to know if the problems are historical are not are to monitor it over a period of time. Something you don't have the luxury of, unless you want to buy the house and take a big gamble!

Great point. The surveyor I hired might have measured the gap and the sellers had their structural engineer look at it 5 months ago.

Is that long enough of a gap to measure any increases in crack size ?

So do you think it's even worth me asking if they'd pay for an independent engineer to come and assess it and the long term implications?

It could be if as Woody mentioned it is a structural engineer who is completely independent and is given access to all that he needs to see preferable both sides of the party wall.

It is not impossible that the full loft extension has affected the party wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back