Viessmann Vitodens 100-W Compact boiler and pump overrun

Could shut off loudly, had it on a heat pump install that needed 3 port turning, had auto bypass pretty much closed at time and needed opening up quite a bit I stop noise. It was working as diverter though and not 3 port

Sponsored Links
Could shut off loudly,

you will have to do better than that!
By that reasoning it could shut off loudly if it wasn't turned
it's a 3-port diverter valve we're talking about here not a directional 2 port
they are designed to shut off either port believe it or not
if the flow is so great that the valve is lifting off its seat or banging onto it, then you will need a bypass regardless of its orientation or a lower flowrate.

Matt

I'm not sure who that post is aimed at, but in case it was me I should point out I entirely agree. Your help was greatly appreciated and as soon as I got as far as finding out there was Viessmann diagram, and then actually seeing it, I was then well and truly on the home straight.

It was the preamble with the headscratching over the standard Honeywell layout that was the problem!

My apologies if I sounded unappreciative; it was not my intention.

Mathew

Sponsored Links
Weather compensation increases the SEDBUK seasonal efficiency figure by 2% from just over 90% to just over 92%.

No, not you, but the characters who think they know better than a major international manufacturer.

Weather compensation increases the SEDBUK seasonal efficiency figure by 2% from just over 90% to just over 92%. There can be gas savings of 15% or more.

me then mysteryman? ;)
To be honest I offered a solution to the ops original problem concerning wiring a honeywell w-plan to his proposed system
viessman has already addressed this using one solution (that does indeed work) and as you say plug and play, what could be more trouble free?
I suggested an alternative solution that I believe has advantages over theirs just as they will believe that theirs has advantages over mine, (I think you just about stated this in an earlier post) and of course if both work the way as intended and both systems are safe then who is to say which one is correct "more than two ways to skin a cat" comes to mind so what is wrong with giving a customer a choice picking a system that will more suit their needs when something goes wrong? without going into any explainations just take my word on this and imagine the valve motor failing, which in my opinion (note this is my opinion) is going to be the most common failure of an external device
wired as per my layout you will lose hotwater but still have compensated Central heating
wired as per the viessman layout you will lose central heating but still have hotwater
so you see each layout has its pros and cons
so the solution to me is to simply ask the customer which system they prefer (which will differ according to customer req) and wire to suit
or am I wrong in thinking this?

I have been involved in fault finding and problem solving solutions for the best part of 34 years so at least give me some credit, but feel free to find flaws in the drawing I posted (its there to be seen) and if you find one then great' its another step on the way to designing a fool proof system
as for weather comp you will have no argument from me, i've been involved with weather compensated/optimised systems for at least 22 years (and they were old ones then) it is not new technology (in the commercial sector) and it has to be the way to go forward
as for Viessmann being a major international manufacturer, again no argument
I come across some of their commercial products in some of the plants we maintain and yes there have been breakdowns (to be fair viessmann badged third party pumps) but certainly no more than any other
put it like this, would I be happy to have a viessmann product in my own home ?
answer yes of course I would, they are good quality (but I would have others too) I can't be fairer than that

Matt

Savings UPTO 15% are based on old to new inc Wc, if you had a condensing boiler and added Wc average savings are around 2%, have over 50 installs on Wc some had new boilers then Wc added and figures are similar to those stated. 15% is a manufacturer selling feature. Bit like when you see

This boilers 109% efficient :rolleyes:

Weather compensation increases the SEDBUK seasonal efficiency figure by 2% from just over 90% to just over 92%. There can be gas savings of 15% or more.

You may upset Alex saying WC only increases SEDBUK by just 2%. Even worse his customers might be upset too.

Its too early for me but why 15% gas saving?

Tony

Yep I'm interested where that comes from too, Tony.

What is the 15% being compared to, another WB1B fitted with a three port and a prog stat with TPI/optimisation?

As a reference, I've used 34.2% less gas between Nov-Feb this year (with a modulating controller (Vaillant VRT392) and condensing boiler (EcoTEC 418)) verses last winter when I had a 80% (SEDBUK rating, 15yr old / not serviced in at least 5 yrs) non-condensing boiler with a Danfoss TP7000 room stat.

Obviously the weather was a lot colder last winter but still a nice fuel saving! (personally, I can't see the Weather Compensation version (VRC430) saving much more as the VRT392 already modulates flow temp.)

As you've touched on, you have to be very careful drawing any particular conclusions as to where any saving has come from because there are so many other contributing variables that have not been accounted for.

My own gas meter readings[1] for a similar time period are:

[code:1]17/09/10 : 3302 (m^3)
07/03/11 : 4128
----
----

12/09/11 : 4334
05/03/12 : 4893
----
----

100 x (826 - 559) / 826 = 32% reduction[/code:1]
So I 'saved' 32%, a similar amount, and what did I change? Nothing.

I can confidently say that our occupancy patterns haven't really changed[2] and so in the absence of any other obvious factor it could well be down to the weather alone.

I'm not for one moment saying that your change of boiler/controls has not given a saving - one would surely expect you to have done with all else being equal - however quantifying the saving and attributing it to that particular change is nigh on impossible as my comparison figures demonstrate.

Mathew

[1] For context, these figures are from a 3-bed semi built 2007, occupied by two adults who work Mon-Fri 9-5, with an Ideal Icos HE15 boiler, u/v HW cylinder and a CM927 TPI programmer/stat
[2] From gut feeling, and also that electricity readings show only a 4% drop (1708 kWh and 1641 kWh for the same respective time periods)

So I 'saved' 32%, a similar amount, and what did I change? Nothing.

There are 171 days in your first range and 175 in your second so when worked out on a like-for-like you have actually "saved" 33.9%!

I'm not for one moment saying that your change of boiler/controls has not given a saving - one would surely expect you to have done with all else being equal - however quantifying the saving and attributing it to that particular change is nigh on impossible as my comparison figures demonstrate.

I agree, I am 99% sure the boiler has reduced usage; due to differences in my two different controllers the CH time(s) on/off were not 'identical' in my comparrison and there is likely more gas used for cooking this year...

It would be very interesting to see if how much anyone else's had changed this year vs last year? (I've just double checked my own usage calcs and it's 35.2% saving verses last year, not 34.2%)

There are 171 days in your first range and 175 in your second so when worked out on a like-for-like you have actually "saved" 33.9%!
Well, yeah, but I didn't want to complicate things any more than necessary! :)

Mathew

My 12-month usage

ending 1/3/12 was 992m³
ending 1/3/11 was 1138m³

same boiler and controls, same occupancy.

13% drop from warmer winter.

Its too early for me but why 15% gas saving?

Tony

I too would like more information regarding the data that this claimed 15% saving is calculated on. Save 100% if you turn the boiler off.

No reply can be just as informative as a detailled reply.

Haven't enjoyed a thread on the plumbing forum so much for ages - if ever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back