New Forum Help viewing previously unread posts shows last entry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When opening a thread that I have not previously seen, it always takes me to the bottom of the page - or perhaps the middle but never the top at the first post.

How can this be changed please?
I can see nothing in the preferences.

No other forum does this, when I open an unread thread I expect to be at the first post and then to hit the "view first unread" button - or for there to be an option (default=disabled) to enable it automatically but not for it to do this unless I change it to.

Sponsored Links
When opening a thread that I have not previously seen, it always takes me to the bottom of the page - or perhaps the middle but never the top at the first post.
Are you certain that is exactly what you're experiencing? If it really is a thread which I have never looked at before, I invariably get taken to the first post ('top of the page'). It can be different if I have looked at the thread before (even if ages previously), so I wonder if that might actually be what you are experiencing?

Kind Regards, John

Yes that is exactly whats happening.

The thread may have been there on a previous visit but I have not read it, so when I enter it I'm at either the bottom or possibly the last post frmo a previous visit (this bits just me hypothawotsing.)

edit:
For instance.
I have never viewed:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/b...anging-set-up-help.433027/page-2#post-3412493

But it takes me to post 29.

This is from the new posts search results.
It could be taking me to the "new post" in that thread - but no other forum does this unless it has options to enable me to go to first unread, start of thread etc.

ANother example.
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garden-wall-project-help-required.406108/unread

Takes me to post #241 at the end - but I have never read this thread.
Note that there is /unread at the end of the URL - so it's the search result causing this.

Last edited:
Yes that is exactly whats happening. For instance.
I have never viewed:
But it takes me to post 29.
I'm a bit confused - as you can see, that link is to post 3412493 on page 2 of that thread - that post number is post 30 (not 29) in that thread - so I would expect that link to take you to post 30, at the bottom of page 2, not to the start of the thread.

Whatever, it sounds as if you are having different experiences from me - I wonder what others are experiencing?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, your correct it's actually post 30 not 29 but 1 post difference makes no matter.

The new posts search is taking me to the newest post rather than the start of the thread.
I would expect something like this to be a function that can be turned on or off but not set as a default.

So instead of a link like:
IMO it should actually be:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/bt-infinity-frequently-drops-out-changing-set-up-help.433027

And then there should be a "View first unread" link at the top to take me to the first post I have not read - this ISTR is stored by cookies or something.
I can see no such link\button.

The preferences settings actually have very few forum preferences in them and certainly do not have anything for the display of threads regarding where to show them, first, last or last viewed post as phpbb2 has.

The new posts search is taking me to the newest post rather than the start of the thread.
As I said, you're having different experiences from me. I've just tried clicking on a dozen or so threads (which I've never viewed before - in fact all in forums I never usually look at) in the 'New Posts' list and, in every case, that took me to post #1 at the top of the first page, even in the case of multi-page threads.

Kind Regards, John

Yes that is exactly whats happening.

The thread may have been there on a previous visit but I have not read it, so when I enter it I'm at either the bottom or possibly the last post frmo a previous visit (this bits just me hypothawotsing.)

edit:
For instance.
I have never viewed:
At this stage neither have I. Or any other posts in that thread.

I'll now click the link (well - Shift-click to get a new window, which will make life easier).

And it does what it should - it takes me to the post number in the URL. Anything else would be wrong in so many ways.

This is from the new posts search results.

It could be taking me to the "new post" in that thread - but no other forum does this unless it has options to enable me to go to first unread, start of thread etc.
What was the search you actually did?

ANother example.
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garden-wall-project-help-required.406108/unread

Takes me to post #241 at the end - but I have never read this thread.
Note that there is /unread at the end of the URL - so it's the search result causing this.
It doesn't take me to either the end of the topic, nor to post number 241.

Even though the link I clicked was //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garden-wall-project-help-required.406108/unread and that's the address which is displayed when I point at it:

screenshot_582.jpg

the URL I actually get taken to is //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garden-wall-project-help-required.406108/page-14#post-3394938

So where did that come from? How did //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garden-wall-project-help-required.406108/unread end up there and why?

Have you used the 'Mark forum read' function? This would reset the time bar, anything thereafter becomes unread and before read, whether you've read it or not.

In any case I don't believe it keeps track of things that you haven't read indefinitely as this would mean a colossal amount of data for each user, so I think it moves that baseline of what it considers you have read forward as it did on the old site (whereas on the old site it would forget everything you hadn't read on each new visit).

Have you used the 'Mark forum read' function? This would reset the time bar, anything thereafter becomes unread and before read, whether you've read it or not.

Simple answer is "no", I do not use it.

In any case I don't believe it keeps track of things that you haven't read indefinitely as this would mean a colossal amount of data for each user, so I think it moves that baseline of what it considers you have read forward as it did on the old site (whereas on the old site it would forget everything you hadn't read on each new visit).

No other forum I go onto does this, they all retain something - maybe a cookie on my pc - that if I open a thread that I have not read then I am presented with the very first post - not just the one that is new since my last visit.

IMO it should not be working in the way that it currently is.

I just clicked on the little dot for this thread and got the first post - so working correctly for me.

I get this, though not always, I often click on the 'Mark forums read' button and it happens in threads I've never click in before.

DIYNot - is this forum software from Xenforo?
https://xenforo.com/

The reason I ask this is because QRZ.com's forums have just changed over to an almost identical setup and I do not suffer this problem there.

Sponsored Links
Back