Vintage Electrics

All the ones I remember had been cut on one side of the opening to get the cable in after forgetting to fit the cover first.

Sponsored Links
Should not really still have UNSLEEVED pin plugs in your house, especially if children are about.

Totally agree, luckily only ever been used with only me present.

As I say the plug is a museum peice and has been taken out of action and marked “do not use”. The point of this thread is for vintage electrics.

Sponsored Links
More interestingly was a circular metal switch mounted on a polished wooded base/plinth type thing.

I call(ed) them pattresses. I fitted some wall lights in my living room a couple of decades ago, they had just a bare gold coloured metal base to fix to the wall, which I thought would look simply wrong - so I turned up some fancy wooden pattresses from some scrap wood. I used a drill, clamped in a vice, with a long bolt through the middle of the wood block, plus sharp chisels to turn the block to shape and varnished them. I still have those wall lights and pattresses up, though now converted to LED.

I also have a 13amp plug identical to cwhaley's rubber plug. Its on a very old extension lead I used to use in my garden.

I've got some vintage clamp meters in my shed and an old Avo 8 (I think).
Will dig them out and take some photo's after my honeymoon next week.

I've got some vintage clamp meters in my shed and an old Avo 8 (I think).
Will dig them out and take some photo's after my honeymoon next week.

I have an oldish 1200amp clamp meter I bought in the late 1970 for big pump motors, several Avo 8's and a AEI(?) Selectest. I just keep them for old times sake, as they were what I was brought up on. I really couldn't wait to move to the digital meters quick enough, when they appeared, buying one of the Sinclair LED meters.

Managed to find 5 minutes to take these. The last one is a 'fairly' modern one though it was last calibrated in 1992. LOL
The close ups are to show the ranges.

P1030060.JPG P1030061.JPGP1030062.JPG P1030063.JPG P1030064.JPG P1030065.JPG P1030066.JPG P1030066.JPG P1030067.JPG P1030068.JPG P1030069.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back