Vinyl flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying vinyl onto a concrete floor in a house built in 1964. Can the vinyl be laid straight onto the concrete or is it better to give it a coat of liquid DPM?
Cheers for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Need more info really....

- your post gives the impression that you are concerned about damp. why?
- is the room/floor damp?

Assuming that you have no damp problems then as I have said numerous times before, vinyl flooring is just loose laid straight to the floor. Clearly the floor has to be smooth and blemish free - any surface imperfections will "show through" over time as the vinyl will mould ityself around them.

All the above assumes that you will be laying this yourself, If you are using a fitter then be guided by their advice

Hi, cheers for the reply.
When I removed the two layers of vinyl ( last layer well and truly stuck down) the concrete did feel slightly damp and smelt musty but that cleared up overnight. The rest of the concrete flooring in the house was / is covered in tiles but I havn't got a clue what they are made of but they are thin, brittle and possibly put down when the house was made (1964) and where these have been removed there was also a musty smell that cleared up overnight.
The people fitting it said it would be O.K. but I want to double check just to get another opinion.
The vinyl will not be wall to wall but finish just under the kitchen units.
Hope thats enough info.

yes!

should be fine, especially as your fitter has ok`d it

good luck

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back