Vinyl flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
If you click on the recommended accessories they sell the adhesive.

I looked at the accessories and could not find a suitable one to use. I called them and they recommended balls f48. Sound ok?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is the top item in the list yellow tub £30.83.

Out of interest why are you going for a stuck down vinyl, looks nice but a nightmare if you ever have a problem with wiring or pipework under floor.

A neighbour had the bathroom tiled, then she had to have work done on the heating , they ended up pulling down the ceiling in the kitchen for access
:cry:

Go with the LVT. Great in bathrooms. Hopefully your pipes underneath are sound and won't need to rip the floor up.
You can use F44, F46 adheive. Better and easier to use then F48

No, I was going to have a crack at it myself. Any advice? What makes the 44 & 46 easier?

f48 is a High temp adhesive which going off very quickly. So you don't have much working time.
f46 is a pressure sensitive and stays tacky for ages so great to use.
You will need a A2 notch trowel

But start with a good plywood. I use SP101, if you can get it mate. If not try get one that isn't Chinese as you can have problems of the plywood delaminating.

Do I definitely need to use plywood? The chipboard I have down looks pretty flat.

What does pressure sensitive mean?

If you go straight over the chipboard the joints can swell from the adhesive and show through after a while. But upto you mate. Seen a few people do it.
Preesure sensitive means you let glue off then out tikes in when tacky an the preesure of pushing them in holds tiles in place , or something like that

dazlight,

What you say about swollen edges to chipboard/particle board is also sometimes true of the less than 12mm plys. 6mm ply and less will swell.

Guys get round it by leaving a 3mm gap and feathering in a filler. They then Belt sander it down when dry - some finally go over the seams with an Orbital sander.

Its been an ongoing concern and question on US Pro Flooring Forums. Sheet vinyl in the USA is an enormous industry still - Armstrong run excellent training courses but their top trainers dont seem to want to deal with the issue.
The APA (plywood assn.) wont deal with it either.

Believe me, if you get a six weeks later call back for 2000 yards of flash coving in a dot com high end McMansion it concentrates the mind on the issue.

Can I treat the chipboard with something like pva to stop it absorbing?

What does feathering mean?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back