Virus killer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which virus killers are best recommended? I had Mcafee installed on my PC before windows went wrong. I now can't get it to install and update (but the firewall part works OK). I found a 3month trial of Panda Antivirus on a coverdisk which I have installed. Looking at Panda website one copy of the Virus killer and Firewall will license 3 machines for a year so I am tempted, whats the verdict?

Sponsored Links
I have always used Norton and been very pleased with it.

A good trick is to buy a sealed, genuine, unused copy of last year's version (e.g. Norton Antivirus 2005 today, but it will soon be the 2006 version) complete with unused registration key - they are usually available on fleabay for between £5 and £15. The OEM version is often bundled by PC merchants who get stuck with unsold stock when they current year's version comes out.

The good thing is that they come with a year's free updates included - so the moment you install it it contacts Norton and dowloads the latest versions, and carries on doing that for 12 months.

It is cheaper to buy another one this than than paying the Subscription Renewal to Norton at the end of the 12 months.

I actually use Systemworks which includes lots of stuff, but the Internet Security or Antivirus is the only thing that the updates are important for.

Thanks for the reply JohnD, I have had a couple of occasions this evening where the Panda antivirus has stopped working for no apparent reason and without notification hence I have ditched it. I am now looking at McAfee again, just found a new copy of the 3 user version for £60 (firewall and virusscan) so will probably go with it.
Cheers

AVG free isnt bad you know, I install this for customers regularly. I totally detest Panda and Kaskerky, Mcaffee isnt bad at all, Symantec Corporate is IMO the best, Norton is fine if you ditch all the crap but does tend to slow you down a bit - more noticable on lower spec machines.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I was a bit dubious about Panda as I said before, so have gone for what I know best and got the McAfee again.

hi all ive spent all afternoon with pcs after a panda problem. i went to install a patch cos of problems, found i hadnt been updated to latest version , updated and pc went to restart and wouldnt . still hav, nt resolved problem on anther pc . panda was good until i got pop ups saying a new 2007 version is out then my panda went pair shaped . mind you it has always made the machine so slow on boot up . and of late all the errors it was having made me wonder has anyone else had similar problems . so whats the best internet security eggplant ? im always afraid of the free ones thinking you dont get anything for free. im wright peed off with panda at moment

I dislike Norton because of it's bloated and intrusive nature, but have to admit that it's detection algorithms are probably the best and it's more thorough at removing persistent infections.

The free ones are all about effective as each other, but some have better interfaces than others. IMHO, they are no where near as good as the commercial versions (and why should they be?).

Avast, again IMHO, has one of the best interfaces and is good at prrevention, although the freebie version (like most) is not too good if you are already infected.

suffolklad said:
im always afraid of the free ones thinking you dont get anything for free. im wright peed off with panda at moment
Panda can be awkward to use and difficult to uninstall, to say the least, if that's what you want to do.

As for free programs etc., yes, perhaps they may not be as good as "paid"versions in some instances but that's not so with the programs I use. The free ones I use are good enough for me and have been for several years.

Mind you, each to their own and this is only my opinion.

Suffolklad .... have a read of the protection link I post above. Lots of good help there.

PCH

I have been using NOD32 on my PC for 6 months and have found it excellent. Have now installed it on my new laptop at a cost of £27, purchased on line.

AVG free and Zonealarm firewall free for all my machines, although I have had trouble in the past with Zonealarm

Sponsored Links
Back