Vista help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quick look and this seems to be the place to be totally random in its listings so's here's mine. Anyone know how to show the progres of the disk defragmanter in Windows Vista. There, how about that for off the wall.
I'll admit that i cant be a**ed to go on a dedicated forum so thought i'd try you guys

Anyone? Steve

Sponsored Links
You can't in vista, they did it so you don't watch you computer every two minutes defragging

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason for the lack of a progress bar.

I'm fairly certain it's more down to the non-deterministic nature of defragging and that most Windows progress displays do some pretty basic time-averaging to estimate completion times resulting in widely inaccurate estimations.

In fact reading into this seems to illustrate that the GUI for defragging in previous versions of Windows was wildly inaccurate, so much so they decided to ditch it on the premise that most users wouldn't run a defrag interactively and would instead rely on the scheduled defrag. I especially like the notification when running a defrag interactively, "This may take from a few minutes to a few hours".

Classic Microsoft move, don't fix the problem, just hide it.

Back