Vitodens 100 water no heating enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
This morning my DHW is not heating up very well although it is firing the boiler up so it is trying .
It gets serviced every year not flushed . Could this be my heat exchanger. Is the same HE used for both central heating and DHW ? The central heating is working fine the problem is just my DHW. It is trying to heat it is not cold and burner firing up.
It is a vitodens 100w wb1b 30kw.
It’s done well over 12 years.
My central heating is working great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be the Diverter valve, stepper motor, plate heat exchanger main heat exchanger. Try from cold running the hot water and feel the flow pipe and if it heats up you’ve potentially found your problem.

Hi
So run cold first then switch to hot , feel hot water pipe from boiler ?
Thanks

He’s some more information.
We tried the hot water from another position and it was heating up but then went cooler and tried to heat up again and then went cooler.
When I felt the hot water outlet from boiler it was hot so it is trying but is working intermittently. Could this be diverter valve or HE any other checks thanks .
Neil

Sponsored Links
No don’t feel the hot water pipe, feel the heating flow pipe (usually the larger left hand pipe) under the boiler. Also check to make sure nothing passing, try to isolate the cold feed into the boiler and run a hot tap, if you get running water, then this could also give the fault you describe.

If the CH pipe is not heating when you run HW as per @CBW then it sounds like you have cross over from a thermostatic shower or thermostatic mixer tap

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Is it that when you run any hot tap the water runs hot/ cold/ hot/ cold repeatedly ? Or it doesn't run hot at all ?

Does that mean you do get hot water from tap and then goes cold,leaving tap running this then repeats constantly ?

I would suspect your plate Hex is blocked.
Probably best to engage an engineer.

Thanks there’s a CH firm attending tonight it’s a 12 year old viessman vitodens which has never had a problem in all that time ( we’ve done well ) it’s serviced every year but if it’s costly to replace the CH heat exchanger might be worth changing it the boiler not sure what you guys would advise .
Was good to get some tests and advice from you guys first to see if we could pin point the problem. I am a marine spark so not familiar with CH and boiler problems.
A quick question is there only one heat exchanger in a boiler ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back