Vivaro 1.9 Stop Light & Engine Light on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what could be wrong with my vivaro 1.9 diesel 53 plate van, it was running ok until the other day when I reversed it into the drive it was fine, however when I came to it the next day it just wouldn’t start the stop light and engine management light were showing on the dash, I have had it read on a plug in computer but it’s not showing any fault, the immobiliser is working and I have tried the spare key with no success.
I have been told by a mechanic that it is most likely to be the high pressure fuel pump but I just don’t see how it can fail with no symptoms one minute the van was fine the next it just won’t start just doesn’t seem right!
Just to add a little when it wouldn’t start I flattened the battery so bought a new one from Halfords 740amps so heavy duty, it still the same turns the engine but won’t start. Has anyone any ideas or suggestions other than scrap it or getting rid!. :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Will try it and post back a soon as i can shift this snow were having!

Anyone know of a good workshop manual for these vans i cant seem to see them anywhere something like a Haynes would be good, i have looked at TIS2000 but its more for the expert mechanic which i am not. ;))

Are you sure the immobiliser light is going out as if it stays on or flashes then it will turn over but not fire,These vans have loads of problems with transpoders/immobilisers.

Sponsored Links
Bingo you may just be a genius! Having pressed the alarm button on the fob to open the locks i notice the alarms red light is still flashing?.
Does this mean it’s the immobiliser and also is there anything i can do to test it or disable it I have tried the spare key and its just the same.

you need to put key in and turn the ignition on. if the immobiliser light is on solid or flashing then it may be either immobiliser or body control module. there is only a couple of way of bypassing the immobiliser. There are a few companies out there which you can get a coded dongle which fits into the obdII socket, and also you my be able to get a bypass code off the internet and this is put in via the central locking button on the dash.

Hi skippster76, just tried your method!
when i put the key in and turn ignition on all the lights come on then most go off, the alarm red light stays on for about 5 seconds then goes out but the stop light, battery light and engine management light flashes i dont think its the alarm and am now left with the assumption it must be the high pressure pump.
Cheers for the help though much appreciated. :cry: :cry:

Lightly scrape the key on the ground to earth out any static electricity. Put the key in, switch on the ignition then leave it for a few minutes. If the red light goes out, the engine will start. If the light flashes rapidly, the immobiliser chip in the key is not being recognised. Check all your fuses. If these are o/k, it will need re-programming via the OBD socket.

Ok here is an update to my situation.
I have today removed the fuel pipe going into the fuel filter and turned on ignition and fuel is coming out ok, I removed the fuel pipe from the fuel filter coming out of the filter fuel is coming out ok, I removed the fuel pipe from the high pressure pump that goes to the knuckle/splitter before sending it to the injectors and fuel is coming out there as well, while i had the fuel lines off the fuel filter i checked the filter for metal particles and there were none! So i am now certain that it is not the high pressure pump however i am baffled as to what other things it can be heeeeeeeeeeelp please.

Anyone Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp still hanging on here.
Any good mechanics in Leeds area fancy having a look at this for me.!

Hello Fella

I have a 53 Plate Trafic (same Model different badge) , and had the same type of Problem , all ok in the weeks prior , tried to start one day nowt happening , engine turns over but did`nt even try to start , Got the RAC but he couldnt get his Lappie to interact with the Van , so we took it into a Local Indepaendant Dealer , In short a Sensor on the Camshaft and Crankshaft (?) went down , this senses the Motor turning over and tells the Fuel Pump to send fuel , fire whatever , it cost me about £250 inc Diagnostics etc

Best of luck Fella

Lucky

All i wanted for Christmas was my van to work, thanks santa! merry christmas xx
Wonder what i will get for new year!

Merry chrimbo & Happy new year to you and yours,

Can anyone shed some light on where i can locate the Camshaft sensor and the Crankshaft sensor plz.

Merry chrimbo & Happy new year to you and yours,

Can anyone shed some light on where i can locate the Camshaft sensor and the Crankshaft sensor plz.

this is only a guess mate, but i would say cam sensor is fitted somewhere in the head, crank sensor fitted somewhere in the block, could possibly be beside the starter motor

Sponsored Links
Back