Vokera 20/80 Flowmatic - pressure building up

Moi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler is starting to drive me mad as the pressure keeps building up to 3 bar at which point the relief valve keeps coming into play. So far in my vain attempts over the last few months to fix it I've fitted a new pressure relief vavle, a new 3 port divertor (complete assemby) and new diaphragms on the domestic HW manifold & CH Manifold auto-bypass.

When i fitted the last 3 item (ie not the PRV) the pressure did seem to stabilise for about a week but now its creeping up again from 1.2bar to 3 in less than an hour. I've also tried disconnecting the filling point to rule out any leaks (drips) into the system but its not that either. Also tried at least half adozen times a complete drain of the boiler and refilling it by the book but it still doesn't want to play ball.

Since i fitted the new diaphrams and 3port valve about 2 weeks ago there's been a bit of noise coming from main heat exchanger almost like whats passing through it isnt 100% water (air?) but since Ive drained and refilled the complete CH system it by the book numerous times including last night when I also added some wickes CH cleanser to it just in case that helps.

I suspect that somehow the CH circuit is getting extra water from somewhere but as the filling loop is disconnected and the symantecs of the HW/CH seem to indicate the water from the Cold water inlet cannot interfere with the CH system apart from when the 3 port valve diverts heated water to the DHW Heat Exhanger to heat the DHW and that its possibel that even though the water flowing through the 2 inlet & 2 outlet pipes for the DHW & CH shouldnt have any contact with each other inside the DHW Exchange that maybe the exchanger unit has a performation?

Has anyone come accross this before because its difficult for my to diagnose unless I try remove the unit itself and my searches have come up blank for this happening before?

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Kevin I think you mean the HW heat exchanger

Sponsored Links
thanks for hopefully confirming what i think I'd already worked out by deduction but just wanted to cover all bases before forking out more cash on it.

I've now ordered a new DHW Exchanger (+ a few other minor bits) from www.mjtcontrols.co.uk :D

Just a quick question as a follow up....

On the unions of the pipes (water only, im not touching gas at all) into the DHW Exhanger and elsewhere on the bolier what sort of washers should I be using as the old ones I think (from when i replaced other parts) seemed to be either plastic or metal but all i could find in the right size in B&Q/Wickes were plastic/nylon items.

Should I be trying harder to find proper fibre washers? if so local plumbers merchants?

Thanks

Moi strongly suggest you employ services of a competent engineer who is (but not just claims to be) able to work on this excellent boiler. You have so far, changed bits and pieces that I have NEVER replaced but only serviced.

You have not conclusively proven thet the HW HE is duff. By all means change it, but what if the HE is not faulty. Do be advised all electrical points on the boiler will bite, even savage you if you touch them. The unit you are hopeing to replace will not come out easily without removing the gas valve. So you will be working on the gas train. How do you hope to test for leaks

Have a second hand HE should you be interested.

I work on the boiler regularly and still have to 'sleep' on a malfunction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back