Vokera 20-80 R S Flowmatic - I need a new microswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vokera 20-80 R S Flowmatic - I need a new microswitch

I had NPower in to service my boiler (special offer at moment of £29.99). I've been having a problem with my boiler not firing up when I turn hot water tap on, but fires up if I turn on heating so I can turn on heating every time I want hot water but need to get the problem solved sooner or later.

NPower guy told me I needed a new MicroSwitch but not to get NPower or other big company to do it as they'd charge me £180+ to fit it when it only takes 10 minutes and costs around £20. So I have been looking online and there are lots of microswitches... I have found a Vokera 4148 Microswitch for £10.97+VAT but do not know if this is the correct model to buy.

And if I buy it, can I fit it myself or do I need an expert to do it - a DIY friend of mine is pretty good with these things and may be able to fit it if it doesn't involve any gas fitting knowledge? I'd appreciate any advice or if anyone knows exactly which Vokera microswitch I need (are they generic?) Thanks in advance, Katie Warner

Sponsored Links
Easy to fit if it is the switch that is faulty & not the diaphragm which will have become stretched vokera part nos are switch 4148 diaphragm 0226

If they serviced your boiler for £30.00, you have won a watch.

I say your boiler was only checked operationally with the 'engineer' not even removing the boiler covers.

By all means get the switch but also await disappointment as boiler unlikely to be any better.

Almost certain boiler malfunction attributed to lack of proper service as described in the manual.

Sponsored Links
Easy to fit if it is the switch that is faulty & not the diaphragm which will have become stretched vokera part nos are switch 4148 diaphragm 0226

That is really helpful, thanks for that - the number I had was right then for the switch. The NPower guy thought it was definately the switch as this business with the temperamental firing up - one week fine for hot water and then a day playing up, then OK for a few days and then problem again, this was most likely source of problem... Again, many thanks for your help...

If they serviced your boiler for £30.00, you have won a watch.

I say your boiler was only checked operationally with the 'engineer' not even removing the boiler covers.

By all means get the switch but also await disappointment as boiler unlikely to be any better.

Almost certain boiler malfunction attributed to lack of proper service as described in the manual.

NPower guy unscrewed outer cover and inner cover and said what great shape the boiler was in for its age and that it was well maintained - hoovered out a bit of dust and told me about the microswitch - yes, the NPower check cost £29.99 - the boiler is 12 years old so for microswitch to go at some time is inevitable I should think...

More like 16 year old. I was fitting them in the early nineties.

Pound to a penny you will need a new diaphram or a divertor valve.

get a new boiler i'd say. vokeras are shyte!

Well they are certainly not the creme de la creme of boilers but then I can't replace it as I am in a flat with no rear access which would mean spending thousands on scaffolding to go up and over the flat to get to rear - and on top of that I have a ground floor conservatory to build scaffolding over to get to me on the first floor... so now you understand. Hearing that Vokeras are pretty basic and can in fact pretty well be rebuilt bit by bit was music to my ears... long may it live!

It won't be alive for much longer,unfortunately.

I had the next model up in my own house from 1992-2005,great boiler but doubt it's still there. I pull them out all the time.

Your biggest problem is the hot water expansion vessel. You have to bleed it of air if you drain the boiler and at it's age you will be very lucky to be able to do that now,usually the bleed nipple is chewed so if you can't bleed it you can't get hot water.

Sorry.

You need to get someone to check to see if the diverter valve pin is coming fully out and engaging the microswitch.

I have never needed to change a Vokera microswitch yet but I have changed many diaphragms/diverters!

Tony

More like 16 year old. I was fitting them in the early nineties.

Pound to a penny you will need a new diaphram or a divertor valve.

I 'm pretty sure I had the divertor valve replaced a year or so ago so I think that is OK - as far as the diaphragm is concerned, I haven't a clue - Maybe I'll get the microswitch in the hope it is that, fit it myself and see what happens.. is the diaphragm hard to fit?

Yes,they are a b@@gger to fit. You practically have to strip the bottom left hand side of the boiler to get it out but the problem will be the hot water expansion vessel ,see my previous post.

Yes,they are a b@@gger to fit. You practically have to strip the bottom left hand side of the boiler to get it out but the problem will be the hot water expansion vessel ,see my previous post.

I dont know why you want to strip the left side of the boiler.

Rather that an expansion vessel, I think you mean the secondary heat exchanger which I usually find on top of the diverter valve on the right.

Tony

flowmatic is good boiler if a little long in the tooth.

dhw diaphragm is a simple job. 30 mins.

if its not been looked at properly for a while i would get the diverter valve service kit fitted too as a bare minimum.

if the microswitch is at fault (doubt it) the 4148 is the correct one for this boiler.

flowmatic is good boiler if a little long in the tooth.

dhw diaphragm is a simple job. 30 mins.

if its not been looked at properly for a while i would get the diverter valve service kit fitted too as a bare minimum.

if the microswitch is at fault (doubt it) the 4148 is the correct one for this boiler.

Turned on hot water this morning and it fired up perfectly, so one day is Ok, then two days not, then fouth and fifth days OK, then sixth not etc... does this not sound like a connection problem - microswitch? If it was a problem with the diaphragm, might this happen as well? It has been looked at yearly and a new diverter valve was fitted about 18 months ago...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back