Volex CUs now in B&Q for 40 quid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to B&Q on Tuesday and have now found the dreaded Volex split load kitboxes with 10 MCBs for sale for 39.98. How many people now will be changing their CUs now noticing these been sold at an attractive price I wonder?

Mind you for just an extra 15 pound you can buy a fire extinguisher as well from B&Q.......a bit cheaper than the Wylex split load kitboxes there previously :LOL: :LOL: ........

Sponsored Links
Providing you bag it yourself, my local riding stables will let you have as much sh*t as you want, absolutely free :D

My stables goes one better - it bags it all for you - top quality stuff - unlike Volex!

This has got to be a better deal than the B&Q Volex...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You get a set of wera insulated screwdrivers with every wylex split load board at screwedfux t the moment.

At least the screwdrivers are ok :LOL:

At my local one, they have a Wylex one complete with 10 double sockets for £69 iirc, which works out slightly cheaper than screwfix, not bad IMO.

At the moment I'm not sure what's harder to sell- a brand new 16th split load consumer unit complete with MCB's or a fully furnished 2 bedroom flat in Manchester....

At the moment I'm not sure what's harder to sell- a brand new 16th split load consumer unit complete with MCB's or a fully furnished 2 bedroom flat in Manchester....

Actually, I reckon there is perhaps still a market for traditional split loaders (at least the flexible split load ones)

A split load board could perhaps be used togther with a few RCBOs to meet section 314 better than some of these new 17th boards...with the lighting and socket circuits on RCBOs on the unprotected side (so four or five for a standard small townhouse, depending on whether you put the smokes together with one of the light cicuits, or not), MCB for the garage/shed (wired in SWA with RCD incommer board on the other end), and then on the RCD side; stuff which doesn't lead to you falling down the stairs if it trips out, and doesn't need rebooting should it get disconnected... things like cookers, water heaters and showers, etc (I know these appliances can get leaky as they get older, but at least they are provided with local DP isolators)

Perhaps adds £150 to an average CU change, which I reckon isn't bad

If you can get the rcbos for reasonable money that sounds like a plan, or alternatively I (many others) could replace my six way wylex standard board with one and only use half the board for example, the protected side that is...

they can be converted remove the n bar and replace with 2 smaller
gives you 3x N bars 1x main switch 2x rcd would not recommend as standard
practice but done it last week worked a treat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back