VW Golf - clutch slipping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a VW Golf mk4, R reg 1997, 1.6 petrol. The problem is when changing up a gear and immediately after trying to accelerate moderately the engine revs but there is no acceleration. I can stop it happening by accelerating very slowly. This has been happening for around 6 months.

From reading a previous forum post it seems this is likely the clutch slipping or something to do a air control valve :confused:

This is the previous post: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=683012#683012

I did take it to the normal garage I've been to before and the mechanic said its probably clutch but he didn't seem at all interested in changing it and quoted £1000 to do it :(

This garage has changed the clutch ~3 years previously and didn't charge that amount before :mad:

So, money is quite tight and I can still drive the car just have to be careful. If I was to carry on driving, been like it for about 6 months already, it am I likely to really mess up some other part of the car badly or is just a case of one day the clutch will go and thats all.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will continue to wear out the clutch until there is no more drive available.....don't let it go that far as you'll score the flywheel, which isn't included with a new clutch kit!
Check out clutch centres such as Mr. Clutch for a quote which will be more acceptable.
In the mean time, try to prevent it slipping and building up heat....start off in 1st gear, don't ride the pedal, accelerate gently and change down in plenty of time when going up hills.
John :)

Just a thought - is the clutch disengaging directly you move the clutch pedal? Just wondering if there is no clearance, clutch adjuster or auto ajuster? Three years doesn't seem long for a clutch unless you have caned it or done hundreds of thousands of miles.

Peter

Just a thought - is the clutch disengaging directly you move the clutch pedal? Just wondering if there is no clearance, clutch adjuster or auto ajuster? Three years doesn't seem long for a clutch unless you have caned it or done hundreds of thousands of miles.

Peter

The car has done ~70,000 miles and this is the third clutch its had, it was bought second hand with ~20,000 miles on it. Not sure why the clutch is always going, I don't think its my driving style - what sort of driving would burn a clutch out? Just accelerating a lot, driving with clutch engaged slightly?

The clutch seems to disengage when first touched, I think the clutch is auto adjuster as a different mechanic thought they could adjust it but couldn't.

Oh well, have to get it sorted soon.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hi

driving style does have a lot to do with clutch wear, fast getaways and holding it on the clutch on a slope probably being the worst offenders, maybe that sort of wear is normal for a small petrol car but my diesel XMs will do 200k+ on a clutch, the last one I sold had done nearly 300,000.

Hope you get it fixed at a reasonable price anyway.

3 clutches in that time :eek:
I'd say you probably got an oil leak on the crank which is contaminating the clutch plate.
Should be around £250 mark for a new clutch. Easy as pie to do aswell.
Make sure the clutch pushrod is checked too as these can cause problems if they are worn.

3 clutches in that time :eek:
I'd say you probably got an oil leak on the crank which is contaminating the clutch plate.
Should be around £250 mark for a new clutch. Easy as pie to do aswell.
Make sure the clutch pushrod is checked too as these can cause problems if they are worn.

Wouldn't an oil leak show up on the driveway? Haven't seen anything like that.

Thanks for the price guide and advice.

depends how bad the oil leak is.
Doesnt take much oil to make a clutch slip, and alot of it will get burnt off

hmmmmmmmmmm I'd better get a it checked soon, the MOT is due anyways, but I'll make sure to ask the mechanic to check the pushrod and for a slight oil leak.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Back